Wednesday 11 August 2021

A Park, and an Unusual Hotel

Walking back home on Saturday (after my visit to the library and art museum), I decided to take a little detour to a park on the same hill. Just along the lower part of it and down, this time - as that was in the right direction for me. It's one I don't visit all that often, as it's out of the way from where I normally go.

This is where I entered the park.

Looking uphill towards the wilder woodland part of the park.

To my surprise, I found some wild blackberries growing near one path.
 


Parkway leading down.

The lower part of the hill, beneath the woodland, is divided into terraces, with different kinds of gardens and plantations. It's hard to take photos that do the layout justice, as you only see one level at a time.

On one of the lower terraces, I found this "insect hotel", which is certainly the largest of its kind that I've ever seen. (Those that I've seen here and there in other parks and cemeteries have been more like the size of small bird-boxes, but flatter.)
 

Having come down from the park, one has to cross a busy main road through the city. A block or two further down, there is this mural on one of the buildings on a back street. It's not new, but it's one of those I don't pass very often.

Now we're back "downtown"... (I'll be turning left, away from there, though... 20 more minutes or so to walk before I'm back home.)

 

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely place! And I'm with you ~ that is the largest insect hotel I've ever seen ~ what a great idea!
    May I ask ~ how far are you from Helsingborg?? are you?
    Thanks for sharing the wonderful sights ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie, I don't know your connection with Helsingborg, but BorĂ¥s is around 230 km NE from there, or 3 hours drive. Visited there (briefly) two years ago on a road trip down the west coast with my brother. Some photos to be seen here. Before that, a very long time since I was last that far south. (I have no car and have not been driving since the previous century...)

      Delete
  2. Of course, what interests me the most is the Insect Hotel. I have never seen such a thing! I have seen the small individual ones like you mention. I guess each section attracts a different kind of insect. Do you have the Murder Hornets there? This is a wonderful place! and the large mural reminds me of the big one we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, no, we do not have the Murder Hornets here. (And please don't tell them about this hotel...) ;)

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful park, and if I were you, I would go back in a couple of months to see it in all its glorious autumn colours.
    The insect hotel is indeed huge! We have a large-ish one here on a path along the fields between the "main" part of Ludwigsburg and one of the suburbs, but it is maybe about a quarter of the size of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike I'll try to keep your suggestion in mind, when autumn comes... ;)

      Delete
  4. my first ever insect hotel. COOL and i love the girl in the mural. the place i want to wander is the wilder woods. love that with all the trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I have to confess I found the size of this insect hotel almost scary... ;)

      Delete
  5. I've seen quite a few insect hotels, really clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is, although if I were an house-hunting insect I think I might feel a bit wary of it? But perhaps the instinct to explore would take over! ;)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...