Tuesday 10 August 2021

Women's Rights

Continued from my Library post


In the foyer of the Cultural Centre, there is an exhibition celebrating democracy and 100 years since women acquired the right to vote in national elections here in Sweden: 1921. 

Looking up some details now, I see that the "age of majority" back then was 23, though (nowadays 18). Which means neither of my grandmothers (born 1900 and 1902) would have been old enough to vote in that historic election. (And as a matter of fact, neither of my grandfathers either!)

As I was in the building anyway, I also took the opportunity to re-visit the Art Museum. With the suffragette movement still on my mind, one of the sculptures that caught my camera eye this time, was this one:

And seen from the back...


From one of the windows on the ground floor, one has this view towards the nearby church (built around 1906 if memory serves me right). That church is part of this summer's art exhibitions too, and I went over to check in there again as well. The modern art on display there consists a number  of see-through screens with "floating clouds" in various colours. They seemed to have multiplied since last time! But it was probably just me walking around more this time - and changing perspective (= looking up more than I did then) ;)




Back at the Cultural Centre, I then sat down for a while at the café and had an ice cream to recharge my batteries for the walk back home. Having done that, I even felt refreshed enough for another little detour ... (to be continued...)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like an ideal day to me, capped off with ice cream. The floating clouds in the church are pretty and mysterious and I like the sculpture of women too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, it was a good day to be out and about - and "in and out" of places as well :) Neither too hot nor too cold!

      Delete
  2. Is it mango ice cream? It certainly looks like it!

    I can not even remember when I last went into a museum. I love museums, but ours have all been closed for so long. Now that they are open, I find it hard to get there during the week, with their opening hours usually not extending to my free time after work. And on weekends, I rather go walking/hiking with O.K.
    I love the clouds in the church. A great idea, and so fitting.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...