Sunday 29 August 2021

Inspired Sunday

Ramnakyrkan, Ramnaparken, Borås, Sweden

Picking up where I left off in my Thursday post A Visit to the Past.

Like all the other buildings in our Museum Park, the wooden church too has been moved here from its original place, a village around 10 km south of Borås. The central parts of the church date back to 1690. As with many old churches it went through some changes over the centuries, even before it was moved here (1912). During the first 20+ years here it was only used as museum, exhibiting objects collected from various other old churches as well. In 1930 the building was again sacralized to be used as church, for special occasions like weddings and christenings.

I've been inside on several occasions before, but of course that did not stop me from going in again to snap some more photos, when I had the chance. (The guide had by then returned to other duties, so I was in there alone.)

The church's double function as church and museum shows in that it houses an unusual amount of old altar pieces and sculptures and other objects. And also not just one but two old pulpits at the front.

Inside the porch.
Old keys etc on the wall,
and a collecting box.




 






 



 

The bell tower comes from some other countryside church; and the actual bell from yet another one. (The book that I have about the buildings in the park does not mention the gate, but that too probably comes from somewhere different.)

Looking up from the computer in my study, on the wall right above my monitor hangs this picture:


It's a water colour painted some time in the past by my maternal grandfather. Undated, but my guess is from the 1930s or 40s. (It's one my mother kept after he died, and I in turn inherited it from her.)

 

 InSPIREd Sunday







 

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have that painting to connect you with this special place!
    Looking at the pictures of the inside of the church, I think I know what it smells like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to be able to paint like the painting at the end. beautiful. I love the outside of the church, and even like the color. the inside is amazing and fascinating and would entertain me during church to the point of not hearing the service, i would be wondering how they painted that ceiling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So many beautiful things to see in that church. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am delighted with the wooden church presented on your blog. The interior is a valuable relic.
    Your grandfather's watercolor is very beautiful and is a wonderful keepsake.
    Greetings:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow I'm impressed, I'm loving the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed that church. I have a feeling that I've seen pictures of it before but it may just be that other churches you have posted about have had similar colour schemes inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I have posted pictures of the inside of this church before - but also of similar ones visited on holiday trips.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...