Tuesday 18 April 2023

A Spring Shopping Spree

 

Another sunny day with spring in the air; and I took the bus 'across town' for a shopping spree at the malls there. Not for phones or computers this time, but clothes... 

The trousers (soft polyester), the light blue top with long sleeves + the pink one with short sleeves (both cotton) I bought in my 'favourite' clothes shop. In another one I found the striped one (also cotton). But I also had gift card to spend at H&M - a Christmas present from my dear friend G who then sadly passed away only a month later... So of course I wanted, if possible, to find something "special" to spend that on. Not all easy, as in later years I haven't found much to my taste in that shop - they seem to me to focus a lot on younger customers. I was almost about to give up (and try again some other time) when the rather anonymous beige shirt caught my eye.  It's a linen/cotton mix, nice and soft. I tried it on, and it fit; and it was almost the exact sum of the gift card (card SEK 250, price tag 249). So it kind of felt "meant to be"...

It will be a memorable purchase also for another reason, though. Recently, GB at Eagleton Notes blogged about self-checkouts at the supermarket (including a witty Shakesperian kind of poem that you might like to read, if you haven't already). When I came to the cash desk at H&M with my shirt, there were two cashiers behind the desk - but one of them was introducing "self-checkout" to the customers, and picked me as one of her "victims" - in spite of my vague protests about intending to pay with a gift card... No problem, said she, and continued to guide me through the process - which proved not quite as easy as she promised, as the card would not scan properly and she ended up having to manually enter the code herself anyway... And the rest of the procedure (step by step) consisted of her first pointing to where I should press my finger on the screen; and then me doing the actual pressing... It would all have gone a lot quicker if she'd just done it herself! ;) 

As it's not my favourite shop, I'm not likely to be back any time soon - or choose self-checkout if I have a choice... (At my usual supermarket I use self-scanning as I go round, and find that convenient - but in a shop that only sells clothes...??!)

Having finished my shopping spree, I decided to walk all the way back home, as the things I'd bought weren't really heavy and most of them fit into my backpack. I was quite exhausted by the time I got home though, and after lunch even fell asleep for a while...

Dandelions spotted along my way home.

 

The sculpture House of Knowledge by Jaume Plensa, outside the Textile Fashion Centre. I still find it hard to walk by this one without taking yet another photo of it! (It's been sitting there for nearly nine years by now. Here's a link to my blog post from the unveiling in May 2014.)

I also couldn't resist how the light fell on these gardening tools leaning against the stone wall in the old cemetery... (When I get that far, I'm almost home...)


10 comments:

  1. I think the pants are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose well – everything can be combined, and the beige/fawn coloured shirt is a rare good find. I agree that it was „meant to be“! The shop assistant insisting on going through the self-checkout process with you probably learnt something from it – at least I hope so 😊
    Here in Germany, H&M is clearly aimed at people much younger than I, and they also have a good range of baby, toddler and children’s clothes as well as mothers-to-be, so it’s not really my favourite shop, either. Every now and then, I find something there that I like, and because their prices are so low, I can easily afford it, but buying cheap clothes always leaves me with a slightly guilty conscience.
    Love your shadow and light photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. In summer, even when it's very hot and sunny, I like to wear (or at least bring) a shirt with long sleeves when I go out, as protection from the sun. I think this one will be put to good use, as it will go with "anything" :)

      Delete
  3. The sculpture is really eye catching.
    You've done very well with your clothes shopping. Exactly the sort of things I like to wear too.
    It's about time I bought some new summer clothes, but I keep putting off the moment. I hate trying things on, especially if I've seen something I really like, and then find it isn't available in my size, or worse, it just doesn't suit me. The best, and most stylish clothes locally seem to be in the market, and one of the few places that sells clothes made of natural fabrics. Polyester seems to be the fabric of choice (or no choice) in many of the local clothes shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I tend to wear the same kind of clothes most of the time. During the years of the pandemic I also did not buy a lot of new stuff, and lately I've noticed that some old favourites are literally getting "worn out". So time to try and find some new ones to replace them. I don't much like trying things on either - especially not in winter, with all the layers of clothes one needs here then! So most of my clothes shopping is usually done in spring/autumn.

      Delete
  4. Your new clothes look very elegant and comfortable too.
    I think that sculpture just demands to be photographed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. Comfort is high on my priority list these days, but at the same time one does not want to look to shabby... ;)

      Delete
  5. you know how much I love POO photos and that last one is perfectly ordinary objects. you found all the perfect pieces for mix/match. I do hate shopping for clothing, glad you could spend that card fiannlly and got something you liked. there is no way I could walk past that sculpture without another shot, even it if were twice daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. Glad there are more people who get the need to take photos of the same things over and over again... ;-)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...