Saturday 15 April 2023

Struggling On...

 

While spring is slowly making progress outside, I've kept spending quite a lot of time with my new laptop - and Windows 11... Some things I still haven't found a wholly satisfying solution to. Like the multi-language problem mentioned in my previous post: Win 11 seems to firmly have locked language and keyboard layout together in one inseparable package. 

If I set my language to English, I end up with my half of my intended "symbols" coming out wrong... A few examples:

Swedish: ! "  #  ¤  %  &  /  (   )  =  ?  `  (top row of my Swedish keyboard)

English:  ! "  £  $  %  ^  &  *  (  )  _  +  (= what comes out with language set to English) 

Well, I can solve that by keeping my language set to Swedish. But then with every new blog post (or other kind of document) I write in English, I have to manually turn off the "spellchecker", or it marks every single word as wrong...

My previous computers and versions of Windows never seemed to have a problem with me switching languages on the same keyboard; so why Win11 does, remains a mystery to me. (I've literally spent hours trying to figure it out, but suppose I'll just have to accept it and "move on"...) (For all of you in English-speaking countries and only using English, this is of course nothing you'll have to be concerned about...)

Something else I've been struggling with is getting things to show up the right size on the screen (for me). The How-To here probably doesn't differ much from before, I'd just forgotten. A 150% general enlargment in the basic Windows settings seems to have got me back to most things being readable and looking fairly familiar, though.

- - -

UPDATE 1: Actually I think I just solved one part of the problem - finding out how to remove the English keyboard and using the Swedish keyboard for both languages. (I had to first add the Swedish keyboard for the English language, and then I could remove the English one...) Doesn't seem to have helped the spellchecker problem though - but maybe eventually I'll figure that out too. Until I do I guess I'll just have to keep turning it off!

UPDATE 2: Seems the spellchecking issue is connected to browser. In Edge I think I've now managed to set it to show me mistakes in both languages. In Firefox, I've turned it off. (You don't need to know this but I'm thinking it's a good idea for myself to write it down...)

12 comments:

  1. I hope one of your followers can help you with this, but 11 may just be bundled this way. It is quite different from 10, as you know now. Maybe you can revert somehow to 10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I doubt I could revert to 10 on this pc as it came with 11 from start. (And probably not a good idea anyway as sooner or later they'll no doubt stop updating 10 anyway.) More a question of keeping on figuring out how things work in 11. Actually I think I just solved one part of the problem - finding out how to remove the English keyboard and using the Swedish keyboard for both languages. Doesn't seem to have helped the spellchecker problem but maybe I'll figure that out too. And until I do I'll just have to keep turning it off!

      Delete
  2. So-called progress is not always for the best is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one wonders, JayCee... It's a lot to keep up with, for sure! (Cf. my reply to Ginny above.)

      Delete
  3. You have been fighting quite a battle of the keyboard, and though the battle is fierce it looks like you are winning. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. Sometimes it seems it helps just writing about it! (LOL)

      Delete
  4. About the problem reading what shows up on the screen I had to go in and change my fonts to a different font and to a bold font so that I can see it. I think it was under accessibility it sounds like you are finding day by day the things you need to find and it just takes time and poking around to find it and I think you're doing a great job. At least you don't have to worry about getting bored for having nothing to do. You can always fight with Windows 11! I also there are several bloggers that have their print really really small and I can't read it and when I go to there I use the touch screen and just drag it until I can read it in other words pinch the screen until you can read and then pinch it back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes, there are various ways to change what we see on the screen. In my case it didn't help to just enlarge text size or font - in some of the programs I use I also need icons and "buttons" enlarged, so had to change the "scale" in the system display settings. On my tablet and phone I use the touch screen a lot to enlarge things, but on the laptop I don't have a touch screen, and even having it connected to a larger extra screen does not always help...

      Delete
  5. Like you, I am not a native English speaker, reader and writer, but a lot of my online activities happen in English. However, on my new WIN11 computer, so far I have not encountered the keyboard issue you describe. As for spellchecker (it‘s our friend Graham who calls it spillchucker, isn‘t it?), I normally do not use it at all, in any language. When I am not sure about the correct spelling of a word, I look it up in an online dictionary, such as the Duden for German.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, thanks to Graham I'm always tempted to call it "spillchucker" myself! ;-) On on my new laptop the problem was that it was automatically turned ON, and I could not figure out where to (permanently) turn it off, or change it to at least deal with the right language. I had to turn it off separately for each individual blog post or comment. I kept searching the Windows settings to no avail - but have now (to my relief) found it in the browser settings. Now that I know, I can decide myself if I want to use it or not. (While I don't usually hesistate all that much about spelling, I do sometimes make typing errors when writing fast...)

      Delete
    2. As for the double keyboard problem I suppose I might accidentally have caused that myself somewhere in the initial setup process... I'll probably never know! ;)

      Delete
  6. I, too, have a dual keyboard - Spanish and English. I use the Spanish version, but lately every time Microsoft does updates, it reverts to the English keyboard. I never think to check and always have to back-track with whatever I'm writing. I've also noticed a tendency to alter certain letters in what I've written, which sometimes changes the meaning, so now I have to double-check everything.
    I use the spellchecker and when it identifies a Spanish, or word in another language, I just add them to my dictionary - it saves having to change "foreign" words each time.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...