Saturday 8 April 2023

Good Friday

 I spent most of Thursday initializing the set-up of my new ASUS laptop. While on the one hand some parts of the process were "automatic" (perhaps even a bit too much so), some things are still giving me a bit of a headache because the only manual to be found is one obviously made to cover several unspecified sub-types of this kind of laptop (some with features not available on mine) - and based on Windows 10, while mine has Windows 11... 

While getting to know the new laptop, and trying to get that set up to my liking, I've decided to still keep my old one connected as before to my bigger screen, extra keyboard and mouse, printer etc. So this post is still written from the old one. Even so, I found my head spinning today, as suddenly I found my Firefox browser to have changed to showing my bookmarks from Microsoft Edge. On Thursday, on the new laptop, I know I allowed Edge to sync with Google Chrome; but I also installed Firefox as alternative browser there, and can't recall having allowed that to sync with either of the others! (I've been used to using different browsers for different tasks and was planning to continue that way...)

(If you're feeling confused just reading this, that's nothing compared to what's going on in my own brain...!)

Yesterday, Good Friday (in Sweden known as "Long" Friday), I decided to take a break from the laptops. (Didn't go completely offline as I also have my phone and tablet, but I kept to more relaxing kind of reading.) 

I also went for a walk to the old church downtown and attended a Good Friday service.


 On my way there, I passed by this hill full of crocuses. (The house on top is a school.)


"A little something" growing out of the old stone wall beneath.


That's the tower of the 17th century church sticking up in the background. The rounded building to the left is an old textile industry building (nowadays offices and such - maybe also apartments now, I don't quite remember).


The church seen from the other side (and a spoon-shaped sculpture).

I did not take any photos inside this time as it was the traditional solemn kind of Good Friday service (and it did not seem right to take photos). They always have several services over the Easter weekend in this church. A few times in the past I've taken part in them all so I'm familiar with (and appreciate) the symbolism of the liturgy. On Thursday night the altar is stripped bare of decorations and flowers etc. It remains bare on Good Friday, and then there is also no music being played in the service, just the choir singing acapella. Then there is a dramatic midnight service on Easter Eve, starting in total darkness but then bringing back candles, flowers, all the lights... (Very "powerful".) And then a joyful celebration service on Easter Sunday, focusing on the resurrection. 

But yesterday was Good Friday, so a low-key service "at the foot of the cross". There weren't a lot of people attending but it was a beautiful and quiet service and I love listening to the choir singing acapella. And with the astounding blue sky outdoors too it felt like just the right way to celebrate this day. After I got back home I also spent the afternoon mostly just reading and resting + listening to music. I chose an old CD with music from the Oberammergau Passion Play - which I had the privilege of attending on a journey to Germany back in 1990.


 On Thursday, I bought some yellow tulips for my living room table.

I also received this beautiful Easter card from Swedish friend.

Glad Påsk - Happy Easter


10 comments:

  1. Your tulips are lovely. The colour goes so well with your table.
    Happy Easter to you and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clarity in your photos is amazing. The tulips look lovely and welcome reminder of spring.
    How tranquil the photo of the water and old textile building is and there's not a soul about. Total contrast to here where the Easter tourists have arrived.
    Good luck with sorting the computer out. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Good Friday is a holiday, so not many people about in the city centre in the morning... Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  3. You are a computer tech! We can never do any of this. Every time we get a new computer, the tech guys have to come over and set everything up. As we have two tablets, two phones, a desktop, laptop, and printer that all need synched. Your reflection photo is gorgeous! And the Good Friday service sounds wonderful. Very low key and bare, like in Jesus' time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. As a rech I'm a fake though, as I don't really know what I'm doing, and "don't speak the language"... I have some trial and error experience by now, though... 😅

      Delete
  4. sounds like you are well on your way to completly conquering the new laptop. hang in there, you can do it. I agree some of the stuff that is automated i wish it were not. I ended up accidently with things I did not want because following the prompts I had no clue which to say no too. you and I are used to our old ways of doing things and the new ways are odd to us. your photos are spectacular, especailly the reflection one. wow! I like the services you described and would like the one that goes from dark to flowers and light

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandra. Well at least I'm through the basic upstart process and have even managed to download some of my own favourites since before. I hope to continue to figure out the rest step by step...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brilliant blue sky is wonderful!
    In my town, church bells do not ring (not even to indicate the time) from Good Friday until the services on Easter Sunday. I find that silence hard to bear and rather significant, as I live so close to several churches, their bells punctuating much of my days (and part of my nights). When the sound of the bells returns, it is so uplifting, filling me with joy and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, now you mention it, it's probably the same here. I just don't think of it as I don't live that close to any church bells.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...