Tuesday 17 September 2024

Plenty of Time?

Last week I borrowed a book at our district library, written by a Swedish physicist and author, Bodil Jönsson (born 1942). Between 1999 and 2019, she wrote about 20 books. As far as I can find, only her first book has been translated to English, though - entitled Ten Thoughts About Time

The book that I borrowed now (and have been reading over this past week) is a sort of sequel to that first one, written 20 years later (2019). Using the same headlines for each chapter as in the first one, she is updating her ideas a bit; now weighing in changes in our concepts and uses of time that have occurred over the past two decades, related to the progress of technology etc. The title of this one could be translated Plenty of Time (but as I said, it does not seem to have been published in English). The Swedish cover has an image reminding me of the new mural seen from our town park - which is why I chose that photo above. Below is the cover of the book in Swedish:

What I remember best from the first book (and I think that's also what got most talked about here back then in media reviews etc) was her emphasis on the importance of something that in Swedish she calls ställtid. I'm not sure what word is used in the English edition, but probably changeover, a word from industrial context meaning "the process of converting a line or machine from running one product to another". Anyway, she keeps coming back to the importance of pauses between various tasks, giving us time both to reflect, and to mentally prepare for what is coming up next. Whether it's about bigger changes, or just (for example) the time we regularly spend travelling (or walking) between work and home. One of her main ideas (as I understand it) is that even the time when we seem to be doing "nothing" is actually essential when it comes to being efficient; because we need such times (sometimes short, sometimes longer) in order to reset our thoughts and feelings etc as we go from one task or role or context to another.

What I think I'll be taking with me from the new-ish (2019) book that I just read, is that here she also encourages us to try to change our contemporary perspective of thinking about of time as running away from us (so that we constantly feel that we'll never be able to catch up), to instead think of time as coming towards us. Easier said than done, perhaps - but may be worth some contemplation...

 

10 comments:

  1. the book cover is a little like the plant on the building and is my most favorite mural of all your murals. I love them all but this one makes me want to draw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting theory that I have not heard before. But time is racing away from me at lightning speed, anyway. I love the mural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it certainly isn't easy to "pin down" our perception of Time.

      Delete
  3. 20 books in as many years - I am impressed! It sounds like good food for thought, and I agree; it makes a big difference to my day when I don't go directly home from work but get off the train one or two stops early and walk the rest, giving my mind (and body) time to wind down from work mode. And I very much dislike it when I have one meeting after the other, with not even five minutes between them. Sometimes when I accept an invitation to a meeting, I tell them that I have another meeting before and possibly will be able to join the next meeting a few minutes later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I was not aware myself that she has written so many books, until I checked the Swedish Wiki article about her now. I don't think I've read any of the others between the first one and this one!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting concept - I'll have to give that some serious thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think one can probably spend a lot of time just thinking about time... (lol)

      Delete
  5. Interesting ideas. I used to love my 'commute', especially when it became one that I could walk rather than take transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, my working days are far behind me by now, but I do usually get out for a daily walk, which besides exercise also usually serves for me as a time of contemplation.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...