On my short walk this afternoon, I spotted an orange dinosaur grazing on the football field.
Back home, I asked AI what would be its Latin name, and learned that it would be either a Dinosaurius Aurantiacus, or possibly an Aurantiosaurus. **
Letting my phone camera zoom it in through a hole in the mesh fence, it became a little clearer what was going on, though:
They are now obviously getting started on the project of turning the big empty football field into a park - which I wrote about back in May, in a post entitled A Field Day. According to the information I took part of then, the corner where they have now started digging is where they plan to build a gigantic outdoor stage.
In case you don't want to bother about going back to that post, below is the image of what they are planning to construct, again. (Please note the size of the people inside it.) How it tall it might in the end turn out to be compared to an Aurantiosaurus with its neck upright, I'm still not sure.
* * * * *
- Orange: Aurantiacus (or aurantius) is the standard Neo-Latin adjective for the color orange.
- Dinosaur: Dinosaurus is the accepted Neo-Latin noun. (Note that while dinosaurus uses a Latin suffix, it originally derives from the ancient Greek words deinos, meaning "terrible", and sauros, meaning "lizard").
- Aurantiosaurus: Meaning "Orange Lizard" (Combining the Latin root for orange with the Greek root for lizard).
- Dinosaurus aurantiacus: Meaning "Orange-colored Dinosaur" (Written as a specific species type).


hmmm interesting construction building, I'm trying to work out what it is, looks like a chess board in front?
ReplyDeleteAmy, as I understood it, it will be a multi-purpose construction" with two stages, I think the one we see most of in that image is the smaller one on the back, for smaller gatherings, and the larger one facing the park for concerts etc. The floor wasn't mentioned so I don't know.
DeleteLove learning about mechanical dinosaurs. I think everything should go back to dragons however! The precursors and survivors of ancient mega-lizards!
ReplyDeleteBarbara, they probably can't use dragons just now because of the fire hazard... ;)
DeleteIt is really large, and very tall. I'll be waiting to se how it looks when finished. Dinosaurs in Sweden, who knew!
ReplyDeleteGinny, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they will keep to the plan presented in May, which included keeping the tall trees in the background - which might make the impression somewhat less "intrusive"...
DeleteThat stage thing looks tall but not very wide. What will it be used for? Plays?
ReplyDeleteRiver, my impression is that they're thinking of occasional summer concerts; and the "back stage" perhaps also used for readings or short plays for small groups of children. I'm thinking that anything "big" would require space for changing rooms etc as well, though - and apart from one public toilet, no other buildings with both walls and roof were included in the plan presented in May.
DeleteI like your Dinosaurius Aurantiacus but am not sure about the stage. It probably will look better when completed.
ReplyDeleteJanice, I'm not enthusiastic myself, about the whole multi-functional park idea as presented. A bit worried about increased noise if it gets popular. (And if it doesn't, it will just look weird!)
DeleteIt reminds me of that joke.... what do you call a blind dinosaur? Do you think he saurus
ReplyDeleteHaha :) ... At least, so far, I can't see from home what they're up to. I have to go for a little walk outside to spy on them.
DeleteIt will be interesting to follow the progress of works on that field. You may recall that my former school is undergoing a complete transformation, and I walk past the huge construction site often, also have been to a couple of guided tours. No dinosaurs that I have seen there, though :-)
ReplyDeleteMeike, no doubt I'll continue to spy on them through the fence now and then...
DeleteI love your orange dinosaur and its correct Latin name. I have a similar orange dinosaur working in the street in front of my house. Perhaps they are the same species.
ReplyDeleteTerra, maybe it's their favourite time of year to be out and about... ;)
Delete