Thursday 28 March 2013

Booking Through Thursday: Rating

CIMG3580
(Easter gets 5 chickens!)

Deb at Booking Through Thursday asks:
Movies have a rating system to help guide the consumer weed out adult/violent/inappropriate knds of films. Video games do, too. Do you think BOOKS should have a ratings system?

Not wholly familiar with the American film rating system, I had to look it up… Follow the link if you feel you need to as well! In Sweden it’s either children allowed, age 7, 11 or 15+ for movies shown in public movie theatres; and usually recommended the same way for DVDs. Censorship of films for adults (over 15 years) was abolished in 2011.

I think age recommendations for children’s books can be helpful; and I appreciate a blurb that gives an idea about what kind of book it is. (Online I also appreciate the possibility to check out the first chapter before buying.) I don’t think I’ve ever thought about a rating system for books beyond that, so I suppose I never missed one.

8 comments:

  1. I agree that we don't need a rating system for books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Germany, movies and computer games are rated either "no age limit", "6+", "12+", "16+" and "18+". Books have no rating but are often classified in libraries and bookshops as children's books, young adult or adult fiction. Since all book and film reviews are highly personal, I do not trust any rating such as the Amazon-one, where you have to rate whichever product you are reviewing between 1 and 5 stars. Sometimes I come across a raving review for a book I didn't care about at all, or someone can't stand it while I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, with the Amazon reviews I usually check out both the lowest and the highest rating, they're really only helpful if the person clarifies WHY they gave the rating they did.

      Delete
  3. I agree age-based ratings can serve as a guide, though I wouldn't mind seeing more specific content ratings... My full response, as well as some extended discussion in the comments, can be found here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These chicks are so cute! A rating system for books like the one in movies, honestly, I cannot think why it would not be a good idea. In other words, YES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love those chickens, it flipped me back about 50 years, my mother always had those same type chickens in every basket...they are so cute, love the photo.
    i would like to see ratings on books, like inside because there are things i do not want to read. i refuse to read a book that sprinkles the F word in every other sentence. they need to rate not censor, just have a warning that the language is filthy or if it has graphic gore or graphic sex.... when i was buying my books it mattered more, now that i use library or kindle, i can just shut it and not read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a book rating system, this would make it easier for parents and others buying gifts for children to choose appropriate reading.
    Some children's books just won't make the grade after that if this were implemented.
    Good idea....we have to protect the minds of the young ones as much as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you Monica I always check the top and bottom reviews on Amazon before making a judgement. Sometimes it is a very good way of finding out about a particular aspect of something you wish to buy.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...