Saturday 11 January 2014

The Birds

CIMG8267-003

CIMG8268-006

I was reminded of the Hitchcock movie The Birds today (walking through the park in town).

File:The Birds original poster.jpg

Even though this is a very scary film, thinking of the first time I saw it always makes me smile (or laugh). It was in my mid-teens (around 1970) at the cinema in the company of two girlfriends. In one of the most suspenseful scenes in the film, the people on screen are just sitting inside a house waiting anxiously for the next attack… The whole audience in the cinema is holding their breath too – it’s so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then one of my friends breaks the silence by whispering: “Why are they just sitting there? Why don’t they play Ludo or something?” – and to everyone else’s annoyance, the three of us burst out in giggles of the unstoppable kind only teenage girls can produce. Totally embarrassing – and unforgettable! (still, after over 40 years)

6 comments:

  1. i have a post in my drafts that mentions this movie... and how it fed my fear of birds that lasted to this day... I am a little better than i was back then and the amazing thing to me is that it has been 40 years since I saw it. and each time it came on TV i just zoomed right on by it. when your post opened and i saw the first photo my first thought was Wow just like in The Birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love memories like that. I do remember that Movie, and my oldest daughter still is afraid of birds. It really had an effect on her. When teenagers get the giggles..there is no stopping it! HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me giggle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on Alfred Hitchcock and I love scary movies......your photo is really a great reminder of The Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, I never watched the movie, although of course I know about it. Your "giggly" story made me smile - having been in many a similar, unstoppable-giggle-situation myself as a teenager. And of course the more you know giggling is appropriate at that moment, the more it makes you giggle.
    As little as I like winter, I do like the silhouettes of trees visible only when there are no leaves on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen the movie and dislike horror movies and stories. However I was once thrown out of a matinee performance as a child when a trailer for a horror movie was shown and my friends and I found it absolutely hilarious: the cinema manager didn't appreciate our uncontrollable mirth.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...