Friday 31 March 2017

Odd, fun, humorous - Postcards for the Weekend

I’ll leave it to each reader to decide for yourself which one you find most odd, fun or humorous…!


From John in England, March 20
 
The British Postal Museum & Archive:
‘Hen & Chicks’ Centre Cycles, c1882
Trials of pentacycles were held in Horsham, Sussex.
Although popular in some quarters, they never entered into the wider postal service.



From Jarina in The Netherlands, March 2017

Promotion card for the Dutch edition of J.K. Rowling’s
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince



From a Swedish friend back in 1994
 
The card was posted in Sweden, but probably bought in Oxford, England. (It says “Oxford Views” on the back.)
This is another one of those cards that sat for many years on a noticeboard in my previous flat. At the time when I received it, I was studying a part time distance course in basic theology (while also working full time in a job not at all related to that). The friend who sent it had/has similar interests + she and her husband (unlike me) also always travelled a lot (and still do...)


 Weekend Linky Party:

Postcards for the weekend 31

17 comments:

  1. I found the second very funny! But all three postcards made me smile, sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say these bikes are my favorite! And the men on them appear so dignified and upright! I wonder how hard they were to ride. One would also need a ladder or platform to perch on them, they are so high. I see your post below! The mirror! What a great idea. We have nothing like this. But we do have plenty of flowers and crosses on the place where people were killed due to traffic accidents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I wouldn't dare try get up on one of those myself... But I guess at least they must have been easier to "park" than one with just two wheels!

      Delete
  3. I can relate to the third one, thought the first was a bit weird and quite liked the second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice selection! My favorite is the first one, and what a perfect choice it is for the odd category. I recall seeing those big wheel bikes but I don't recall seeing them with an additional four wheels. A curious and interesting card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen any like that before either, John.

      Delete
  5. The second one is very well done.... I kept going back to look at it...so I guess that's my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if the odd coincidence (for want of a better word) of the penny farthing bike's four wheels will be noticed by anyone. There were four farthings to a penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a clue what you meant when I first read that comment, Graham. Had to look it up. Not sure I ever heard the name penny-farthing for a high wheel bike - and if I ever did, it obviously did not stick in my memory. Now it might, though! :)

      Delete
  7. I have never seen a 5 wheel cycle like these. pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pentacycle is new to me. I can even see how they could reach the baskets fro their perch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but then what? Did they have really tall letterboxes as well back then...? (lol)

      Delete
  9. I like the penny farthing bikes. Don't think I've every seen them with the four little extra wheels. They look like the trainer wheels they have on little childrens' bicycles until they learn to balance properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I thought of that too :) I was late in learning to cycle, and did not have trainer wheels on my own bike, but sometimes I used to borrow the bicycle of a friend, who had them...

      Delete
  10. I laughed at the 'popular in some quarters' comment on the bikes, wondering how? I would like to have a go on one of those with their extra wheels, I have never been tempted by a penny farthing! The Potter card is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first one stands out for me. I can't imagine how does one go up and down these tall bikes ... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The second is my favourite but the third is so true!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...