Tuesday 22 May 2018

A Breath of Air

DSC03307

Never think of air as “nothing”. You’ll miss it when it’s not there!

In the midst of the long spell of warm weather we’ve been having in May (I think three weeks now, and still going on), the ventilation in my building has been off, as they’ve been working on installing a new ventilating fan up in the attic. In the meantime, we’ve had to keep windows and balcony doors open to let in fresh air. I suppose the timing could have been worse – but it’s still been a rather trying experience. The lack of fresh air and air circulation has been noticeable; and with open doors and windows, and all the kids of the block spending the afternoons and evenings outdoors (on the lawn on the balcony side of the building), it gets very noisy too.

Normally, I can shut out a lot of noise by closing the windows and balcony door. But these past few weeks, closed doors/windows has also equalled “no air”… So headaches whichever option one chose! (And I haven’t got the stamina to keep out and away all day myself either – especially not late into the evenings…)

I’m not writing this to complain, though – just to say that I’m now drawing a sigh of relief! … Because yesterday when I came back home (from spending the afternoon at the lake), I noticed when I came in that the flat actually felt rather nice and cool and “airy”… And soon understood that yay, ventilation was back on!

It’s not “air conditioning” as such (i.e. not controlling the temperature). I suspect it’s still likely to get too hot in the flat sometimes, especially if the nights get sultry as well (so far the nights have been rather cool even if hot in the daytime). But for now at least, I find myself just happily taking deep breaths of air even indoors : )

10 comments:

  1. Isn't air a wonderful invention? ;-) I am an "airing addict"; whenever I come home from work, first thing I do (even with my coat still on) is opening wide all my windows. Getting up in the morning, first thing: windows open, even though I sleep with the bedroom window open almost all year round (I rather have a warmer duvet and blanket than keeping the window shut).
    There is no additional ventilation in my house, so I depend on opening the windows. As you say, sometimes it can be a test to my patience and tolerance, when people outdoors are noisy. My pet hate: leaf blowers...!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, one advantage of living on a bigger housing estate is that things like lawnmowing and leafblowing is done by staff; and always in the daytime on weekdays - and when it's done, you probably won't have to hear it again until next week. Unlike a neighbourhood of private houses where everyone tends to their own garden, and when one lawnmower (or leafblower) stops, another starts... ;)

      Delete
  2. my pet hate is the same as Librarian... leaf blowers, lawn mowers, yard workers. we have had our windows open for the past 6 or 8 weeks and the noise level includes car tire noise. but it saves money with no heat or AC needed. glad you got your air back and can breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thankfully I don't get a lot of traffic noise here as the main road is some distance away from my building. In summer I usually sleep with my window open as well.

      Delete
  3. Our electricity went or this weekend and we immediately noticed the lack of sleep or conditioning, so. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. It's better now since they installed the new fan :)

      Delete
  4. Partying folk are not an issue for us but certainly traffic noise is. And as for leaf blowers they should be put in the bin (quietly!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, traffic sounds are not all that much of a problem here as I don't live by a thoroughfare.

      Delete
  5. My 'air conditioning' is open windows and doors. However, on very hot days (which, in the Outer Hebrides, is a relative concept) with little wind that would encourage a house full of midges. Heat is better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I can only agree... Very few midges and mosquitoes just here where I live is another thing to be thankful for :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...