Thursday 5 January 2023

14th Blogoversary

 


Hard to grasp, but today I'm celebrating my 14th "blogoversary". It was on 5th January 2009 that I created my very first blog post.

Some of you may have heard the story several times by now, but here it is again:

A long-time penfriend of mine in Australia had started a blog, and told me about it in a letter for Christmas 2008. To be able to comment on hers, I needed a Blogger account of my own. So I sat down at my computer to create a profile; and once I had managed that, I thought: Why not explore the whole blogging thing a bit more...

My first blog was entitled "The Island of the Voices". Two years later, when starting over because of some technical issues and layout changes, I changed the title to "Beyond the Lone Islands" (still inspired by the same book):

Screenshot of my very first blog post:


Had someone asked me back then if I thought I'd still be blogging in 2023, my answer would probably have been that I doubted that very much! And if not for all the other blogging friends I made around the world along the way, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be. (Actually, some of you I will also soon have known for nearly 14 years!)

As the saying goes: "Time sure does fly when you're having fun" ...

 

11 comments:

  1. I have only recently found you via Graham's blog.
    Happy Blogversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it seems I keep making new friends! Welcome, JayCee. A lot of Blogland paths have crossed on Graham's blog over the years... :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Blogoversary, dear Monica! I am truly glad you are still blogging and never gave up in spite of the various challenges the platform has presented us with over the years.
    Your book reviews, your walks about your beautiful town, and so much more is always good reading and viewing material. And more than once, your reviews pointed me towards a book or a series I have come to love.
    Thank you for all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks back to you Meike for following, and for your own blogging!

      Delete
  3. PS: I started my own blog not all that long after you - my first post is from March 26, 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first blog post was August of 2008 but then I never posted again until May of 2009 so you came in between those two dates I don't know why I posted one and waited 9 months to start but once I got started in 2009 and sometime around 10:00 or 11:00 I think is when we met. So we have somewhat the same timeline. Happy blog anniversary and you and I have been hanging in there for a long time you and Jenny are my longest blog friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sandra, I think I recall that you and Ginny both started following my blog (and I yours) in the autumn of 2009. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! I did not know your story, so was glad to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, for your steadfast friendship of '13 going on 14' years by now!!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...