Saturday 28 January 2023

Old Habits Die Hard

 

For around two decades we've had a household waste sorting system in my town based on black vs white plastic bags: Black for food leftovers (used to produce bio-gas), and white for various smaller non-recyclable stuff (to be burned, producing energy used for district heating). The black vs white plastic bags have been thrown in the same bin and then optically sorted at their destination. (Besides this, we are also sorting newspapers, cardboard, plastic, glass and metal packaging stuff, to be taken to separate recycling bins.) 

Now they're changing the sorting system. They've been introducing the change gradually, starting with those who live in their own houses (i.e. have their own dustbins); but now the turn has come to also include us who live in apartment blocks. The main change is that we must now use only paper bags for food waste (+ paper towels); which are to be thrown in new separate bins outside.

Less use of plastic is of course good for the environment, and the whole thing may not sound too challenging. But when I received the new special holder for the paper bags this week, I realised that it would require some rearranging of the receptacles in the cupboard under my kitchen sink - which is where I sort everything until I can take it out to the bins.

For twenty years or so I've been used to throwing my food waste (black bag) in a small receptacle with a lid, hanging on the inside of the cupboard door; and residual waste (white bag) in a taller one on the cupboard floor. But the new paper bags for food waste need a special holder allowing air to circulate around it - and that is too big to be hung on the inside of the door. So I realised I'd have to shift things around.

I cleaned out the cupboard and reorganized yesterday: I placed the new holder for the paper bags on the floor (with a supply of empty bags right behind it); and prepared the smaller receptacle on the inside of the cupboard door to be used for residual waste instead.  

So far, so good. I was able to fit everything in.

However, I soon found that getting my brain to re-learn where to throw things is quite another matter! In spite of even having put a warning triangle on the lid of the receptacle hanging on the door, I still find myself automatically throwing banana peels or  emptying used tea-leaves in there... Movements so familiar that I obviously perform them without looking, or consciously thinking about what I'm doing!

I think (hope!) that I've been somewhat better at not throwing too much non-biodegradable kind of waste in the paper bag, though. Besides that bag itself hopefully still signalling "Hello! I'm new here!", I've also put an orange post-it note above it that should hopefully help me stop and think twice.

It's all made me ponder about how much our everyday routines are rooted in habits, though - like doing things in a certain order, keeping things in certain places etc. And living alone, those habits are not often challenged; except if we have guests staying, or visit other people in their homes (none of which happens all that frequently for me these days) - or some new thing or circumstance is otherwise introduced (or removed) that forces us to "rethink". 

Have you had to change any deeply rooted habits lately?


8 comments:

  1. Oh I don't envy you the period between now and your brain getting things into a new routine. I recently had to move various cooking ingredients into different cupboards because packaging sizes altered. I spent weeks opening the incorrect doors and staring blankly at the contents unable to fathom what had happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognise that too, Graham. I have re-arranged other cupboards before, and even when you do it for your own convenience, it usually takes a while getting used to the new order... ;-)

      Delete
  2. When we moved house last year it took me a very long time to get used to the new location of everyday items. Even now I still open the wrong kitchen drawer when I want spoons or tin opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, I have some drawers like that, too. I think I would probably still have the same problem if I decided to shift them, though, so I try to just bear with my self... ;-)

      Delete
  3. When we moved into our last house in the UK my parents were on hand to help. My mother took over the relocation of all the kitchen items which was very helpful, except that I couldn't find anything! I then had to stop and think where similar items I was hunting were located in my mother's kitchen. She had put everything away where she stored hers - in totally different places to the way my new kitchen was planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not changed anything major around my flat since swapping the bedroom and living room in 2016, and because that change happened across several weeks (plus I was involved at every step), it was easy to adjust to. But I can see how I would keep throwing things into the wrong bin under my kitchen sink if I were to change the order of the bins there.
    Speaking of habits, no matter where O.K. and I are staying - his place, mine or a hotel - we always choose the same side of the bed, he on the right and I on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I suspect that's probably rather common, too.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...