Friday 20 January 2023

Vertigo

At the beginning of this week, I kept my computer busy "by itself" for a couple of evenings, sending backups of thousands of photos to external drives; in preparation of freeing up some space on my laptop. Not all done with that project yet, for reasons that will become apparent below.

On Wednesday, while also having laundry day, I packed up the rest of my Christmas decorations to go down to my storage room. Or so I thought. When I got back up to the flat again after having got the last things down to the storage, my eyes fell on the top of the bookshelf in the hall... There seems to always be that one thing somewhere that I miss! ;-) (As this tree does not take up much space, it went into a cupboard where I keep vases and stuff, for now. Remains to be seen if I'll remember that next December!!)


So had quite a busy Wednesday afternoon, and was rather tired in the evening; but not abnormally so. Still also felt "normal" at first when I woke up around 4 a.m. in the night and needed the bathroom (I often do) - that is, until I sat up, and the world started spinning... I also noticed that I was sweating, but at the same time feeling cold. I managed to get to the bathroom, though; where I also checked my temperature. That, however, was normal, which served to calm me down a bit. I changed my pajama top, and changed to another pillow (thinking that I might have been lying in some weird position with my neck). Lying down again I felt okay, and after a while fell back to sleep. 

But next time I woke up, and sat up, the whole thing started over, and worse. I even had to throw up (although nothing really to throw up...). Skipped breakfast and just had a cup of tea with honey, plus a bite of a banana with my blood pressure pills. However, apart from the vertigo, my brain (and the rest of me) seemed to be working as it should... I also checked my blood pressure, which was okay as well (neither low nor too high). So started googling symptoms, and arrived at the self-diagnosis that it was probably "benign positional vertigo" (BPPV). (In layman terms, small particles/crystals getting into the wrong part of the inner ear and confusing the sense of balance. In Swedish it also goes by the name of crystal sickness.) I also recalled something similar happening to me some 30 years ago - but then I didn't wake up with it but had a sudden dizzy spell at work. I think I was off work for a day or two, but since then it never happened again - until now. 

While I was googling and thinking, the worst nausea also seemed to have given way, so I decided there was no need for an "emergency" call. I also found some exercises (head movements) to try, and some tips on what to eat when feeling nauseous (little pieces of crunchy fruit and vegetables, crackers/bread, thin chicken broth - and drinking plenty of water). Practiced that throughout the day and felt better; even if still a bit wobbly. I kept my phone with me in a fanny pack all day in case I should lose my balance and fall (I didn't, though). I also recalled that I had a folding cane I bought some years ago when I had trouble with a knee, so got that out to for support. In the afternoon I slept for a while (lying down), and thankfully had no new vomiting attacks when I rose again. 

I also slept okay in the night and had no more severe vertigo attacks neither when I woke up in the night, nor in the morning. Today, a light headache but not really "dizzy" like the day before. I had a delivery of groceries coming in the morning around 10 a.m. (ordered earlier in the week), and managed to take care of that (including some bending and lifting). I've felt no need of the cane indoors today - just taking things slowly, and thinking about my movements. 

I even went outside to the rubbish bins + a 5 min walk around the next building, with my outdoors walking poles for support. (The weather the last couple of days has been "slushy" rather than icy, with a mix of rain and wet snow). In my entrance/stairwell they're still in the process of painting the walls and railings etc, so I've been using the lift rather than the stairs. (I was in luck about that... The lift was "out of order" for maintenance on Tuesday, when I did not need it; and back in working order on Wednesday, when I did need it!) 

On the whole I feel lucky - and thankful for the internet! Without the possibility to search for info online, I'm sure I'd have felt a lot more panic-stricken. 

Of course if the symptoms recur I may still have to consult health care. On the other hand, they may not! (I'll be taking things slow for a while, hoping for the best.,,)


16 comments:

  1. I also hope for the best for you. You seem to be doing all the right things anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JC. Still trying to figure out "what's what", but at least no more serious nausea since that first morning.

      Delete
  2. I have had this for many years, and been to several doctors for it. Today and tomorrow have been bad. We just got back from Wal-Mart, where we bought travel sickness medicne for it. I have just taken two. It is good to have a walker for the very bad attacks. It is awful! At it's worst, you throw up AND things spin around even with your eyes CLOSED!! I am like you, when I out away seasonal decorations I always leave behind something. No matter how hard I look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Ginny (although at the same time also some comfort in learning that one is not alone). I'll try to remember asking for travel sickness medicine next time I go to the pharmacy - just in case! (Should it turn out to be a lasting problem I will look into getting a walker as well.)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you suffered from vertigo Monica - it sounds as though you had a really nasty attack.
    This is something I've suffered from on occasions - exactly the same symptoms you and Ginny describe. I've never sought medical advice except to mention it to my doctor on one occasion. She said that it was very common and to do with the change in atmospheric pressure. There is no cure, but you took all the right precautions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're suffering from it too, Carol. Seems to be more common than I've realised before! Thanks for mentioning the possible relation to atmospheric pressure - I had not seen that in any of the articles I'd read so far. Now I've googled that too ;-) and learn that studies have been made that do seem to indicate a connection. That's interesting to me, as I've had reason to believe that I'm sensitive to that when it comes to other aches and pains (muscle/joints). So not surprised if it comes into the picture with this as well! I'll keep it in mind if turns out a lasting problem. These last few days have also actually been a battle between weather fronts - back and forth between rain and snow. (I have a barometer, inherited from my dad. Pointing to sunny at the moment even though still mostly cloudy outside...)

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, that sounds scary, especially when you‘re on your own - like I am during the week, too. Good to know you are much better and probably won‘t need to consult your GP about it.
    Like you, I forgot one item when I put away my Christmas things, and also posted a photo of it just recently 😊 For now, it is still there, as we‘re having proper winter weather, and it suits that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, yes, suddenly feeling sick with unfamiliar symptoms is certainly among the most scary experiences when living on one's own. It's happened to me before (with different symptoms) but so far I've been lucky (either getting help when needed, or managing without it).

      Delete
  5. I keep a package of Dramomine in my cabinet for this. that is a brand of the pills for travel sickness. it really does work, helps with the spinning but doesn't fix the problem. if it is the crystals, i can fix it by laying flat and turn head sideways until the dizzy comes, and hold it there till dizzy stops. that works great. but sometimes the real vertigo is just a matter of taking the pills and waiting it out. glad you are feeling better. I went to the doctor also like Ginny and he is the one that said use drammomine or he could give me RX that is the same thing. of course doctoring our selves by research is good as long as we don't wait to long if it continues. hope its gone for now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, now I'm beginning to feel I just "joined the club" (with three out of five commenting that they know only too well what I'm talking about...) ;-)

      Delete
  6. oh no, I haven't had it alot maybe twice but it really isn't nice to have to deal with. Do you think I may have to get a prescription from the doctor to fix it? I hope it goes away and leaves you alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm afraid the impression I get so far is that there is no medicine they can prescribe that will "fix" it, although it seems pills against travel sickness may help with the symptoms (cf Sandra's and Ginny's comments above). And maybe certain treatments more of physiotherapy kind. I'm still hoping I'll not have to become an expert on it myself!!

      Delete
  7. Sorry I missed this Monica. I had the medics in the middle of the night some while ago with what they diagnosed as Labyrinthitis. It was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. The paramedic gave me an injection which worked instantly. I now carry a wee phial on my keyring with some Prochlorperazine tablets in it in case it happens when I'm out. Fortunately it's never happened since.

    However because, like you I was unable to talk or stop retching when it happened and the emergency telephone operator couldn't understand me they originally worked on the basis it was a stroke and the ambulance was at my house (the telephone automatically provided my details) and at my side (they have the front door keysafe number) almost as soon as the call ended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it does sound like you were in need of some emergency care even if it was not a stroke, Graham - so glad that worked out!! Even if felt sick, I was able to conclude rather quickly that at least it was not likely to be a stroke; which is why I consulted our official health care website/app about symptoms rather than put in an emergency call. Today I tried to get some travel sickness pills from the pharmacy (while I was there for other things anyway) but it turned out they were out of them, and so is almost every pharmacy in the country at the moment. The pharmacists (I tried both pharmacies in the city centre) called it a delivery or production problem, but together with the responses I got so far on this post, it almost makes me wonder if there is a vertigo pandemic sweeping over the world that the news have not yet picked up on...! (As I'm feeling pretty much back to normal now, I decided not to panic about it. If there is a pack of those pills left somewhere in the country, there may also be someone else more in need of them than I am just at the moment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Monica, that the paramedic and the doctor (who authorised the Prochlorperazine) both said that it can come on in a second and without notice. I was asleep and woke incapacitated. However if if happened to me at any time in the house or when driving or on a plane I know that I have (hopefully) instant relief. I certainly wasn't capable of doing anything when I first woke up. It took a while before I was compos mentis enough even to dial the emergency number.

      Delete
  9. Graham, I get that. I woke up with my vertigo too, "out of the blue", and realise it could happen again. Today I was lucky and the pharmacy at my supermarket turned out to still have some of those pills left that I could not get yesterday in town. (Not the same name as yours but I suppose similar). Do feel a bit safer knowing I have them.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...