Sunday 1 January 2023

Hello 2023

 


Just to confirm that I survived to see the start of another year... ;-) So far, I can't say 2023 seems much different from 2022 - except that it's currently snowing a little again. New Year's Eve was all grey and damp, even if not really raining much. But every time during the day when the thought of perhaps popping out for a short walk passed through my mind, it was followed by some random firecracker going off again outside... So I ended up playing it safe and just staying in. Baked my usual 'New Year' quiche (cheese/ham/leek) for lunch  (also enough for the evening meal, plus a couple of portions for the freezer) Also got some other New Year things out of the way, like emptying an old binder of bills etc from a couple of years ago and preparing that for 2023. (I still like to keep some things on paper, to avoid having to log in to check.) 
 
The late afternoon and evening was spent mostly in front of the TV. Not much of interest on the 'live' broadcasting - but there are also so many streaming possibilities nowadays (even though I only subscribe to a limited number of channels). Among other things, lately I've (again) been binge-watching a favourite series, Gilmore Girls (2000-2007) - on Netflix since a few years)... For the evening, I had saved a 'new' (2022) film recently bought on BRD, though: Downton Abbey, the New Era. In this one, about half the cast go off to check out a property in France, mysteriously inherited by the dowager countess (and that she wishes to in turn pass on to a great grandchild). Meanwhile, at home, Downton Abbey is invaded by a film team shooting a silent film - which comes to involve both family members and staff more than anticipated. A good film which I enjoyed (and it served well to distract me from the random outbursts of fireworks in the earlier part of the evening). It also felt like a satisfying 'grand finale' to the series. (Although who knows...?) 
 
Closer to midnight the fireworks right outside my windows did take over the "show" as usual, though... Below is a clip filmed around midnight. (I did not open the door to go out on my balcony - I saw and heard quite enough anyway!) (PS. The faint murmur of voices and church bells heard in the background are probably from the TV rather than from outdoors.)
 

New Year's Eve fireworks 2022/23


10 comments:

  1. awesome fireworks and video. I heard the clock chiming at the end. sounds like you had a good day and a good movie to watch. I love reading and movies so find it easy to entertain myself, just like you do....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, what makes New Year stand out (in a negative way) is that the fireworks make it impossible to have a "relaxing" evening on one's own...

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Your fireworks video came out good. We have recently started streaming as well, and love Britbox and Acorn. Have you tried Vera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. I've heard of Britbox but none of the others. Netflix is the only 'pure' streaming service that I've used. My usual Swedish public service TV channels also offer quite a lot of streaming options these days, though. Just now, I also have a few months free trial of streaming from my additional commercial TV channels. Considering that I also have quite a lot of old favourites on DVD/BRD, I'm not sure I really need more!

      Delete
  3. Happy new year. My night was similar to yours. After I got home from work at 9pm it was pretty much cup of tea, bit of netflix then bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you, Monica! Being with family most of the time meant I did not have time to comment on your post yesterday, although I managed to read it.
    Fireworks were incredible in my town - so much for the austerity most people claim we have been living under since the Ukraine war begun…
    I will never „get“ why folks feel they have to start lighting fireworks and crackers hours, or even days, before the actual event. By the rate they were at it in my neighbourhood, you would have thought there was nothing left at midnight - but there was more than what I can remember from past years.
    Anyway, it is 2023 now, and for my family, it can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, every New Year I wonder how people can afford to (or choose to) spend so much on fireworks... as it's literally just "burning money"... Ah well. I do hope 2023 will prove itself worthy of the celebration! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year!
    I must say that I agree with your comment about the money wasted on fireworks. Over the year, here, there are several public festivals that include a firework finale. Years ago we would to stand on the terrace to watch them, though the best view was from the rubbish bins just down the road! Nowadays I don't bother - it's all over so quickly, now that the council no longer spend so much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, here an official fireworks-free celebration was held in the main square around midnight. The fireworks that could be seen and heard from other places around town anyway were all 'private'. And I see quite enough of them from home without going anywhere! ;)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...