Thursday 17 August 2023

Hunnebostrand - 'Udden' Sculpture Exhibition

 

 


From Bovallstrand (previous post) we drove on to Hunnebostrand (about 5-6 km to the south), another small(ish) sea-side village - with about 2000 permanent inhabitants; but full of tourists in summer. Back in the previous century it was an important place for the Swedish quarry industry (mainly granite). More recently, they've turned one of the old quarries into another interesting setting for a sculpture park. Not as large as Pilane (link to my recent post from there), but more easily accessible.

Udden = 'The Headland'
Sculpture 'Vindarnas Hus' (House of the Winds) by Lars Widenfalk (SE)

"Udden Skulptur is an international sculpture exhibition at Udden in Hunnebostrand, a historic quarry and one of the finest in Sweden, where the most qualified stone works were carried out from the mid-19th century to the middle of the 20th century."

"This site is now an exhibition space for sculpture that is completely unique in the world with a vertical 40 m high granite wall, a large meadow where the quarry was located, and the endless sea that offered the transport of stone to distant lands. A place with magnificent beauty that has everything that Sotenäs and Bohuslän’s tourism industry rests on: an untouched nature and everyone’s access to the coast."

'Säng' (Bed) by Anders Thorlin (SE)

'Diamonds are forever' by Peder Istad (SE)



Novice by Viktor Grachev (RU)

 

 

'Swedish Madonna - After the Bath'
by Russian-Swedish artist Viktor Korneev



'Ascent' by Viktor Korneev (SE)

'Ohne Titel' (das Messer) (Without Title - The Knife) by Hubert Maier (DE)

'Slägga' (Sledgehammer) by Claes Haake (SE)

'Open Globe' by Ulf Johnsson (SE)

'The veiled man'
by Hans Leutscher (SE) (2011)

 

▲These are probably not sculptures but "tools" from the old quarry (?) ▼

More photos from Hunnebostrand in my next post.



17 comments:

  1. Thanks again...great sculptures which I would never have known about were it not for your sharing. I got a kick out of Diamonds are Forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, for many of the sculptures I did not know the name while I was there, but I found them afterwards when comparing my photos to their website :)

      Delete
  2. What an interesting place. It reminds me of a quarry we visited in Portland, Dorset, which is a nature reserve but also has sculpture dotted around which you find unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I did not know this place (the quarry sculpture park) existed until I started doing some research for this short trip to our west coast.

      Delete
  3. What a clever and wonderful use for an old quarry! It makes it beautiful again and gives it meaning. And the style of the sculptures almost look like they were made from the rock there many years ago. The knife is kind of surprising, and I wonder if that has a meaning of when they cut into the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I can only agree about making good use of the old quarry. Alas I know very little about what inspired each sculpture, I just got their titles and the names of the artists from the website.

      Delete
  4. These sculptors and sculptures are brilliant and located in an ideal setting where stone is quarried. I can see why tourists flock to the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, while I'd heard about Pilane before (the other sculpture park we visited), and had seen plenty of photos from there on Facebook, oddly I'd never heard of the quarry in Hunnebostrand until I started doing some research for this trip.

      Delete

  5. These are great, Monica! I can't decide (and I know I don't have to) which one I like best. Not the Madonna after the bath - the poor lady looks like she's shivering with cold.
    The entire place is fascinating, and you had good weather for your visit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I'm happy that we got at least one sunny day out of the two - even if not enough to put bathing on our to-do list... ;) Well, bathing/swimming has never been my "thing" anyway (nor my brother's). - But I have one old friend, living on the coast full time now since she retired, who seems to go for a dip in the sea more or less every day - even in winter with ice and snow! (And posts photos of herself looking a lot happier about it than that 'Madonna' sculpture, I might add!)

      Delete
  6. For me, this is a much more interesting place than Pilane, perhaps because it's set in a
    more intimate setting. The good weather helps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I found both sculpture parks interesting, but for different reasons. At the one in the old quarry, it's certainly easier to get an overview of the whole place - and it's also a very special setting especially for stone sculptures.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting me in return, Denise. I think I found your blog via either Sandra or Ginny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Novice is my favorite of these, and the knife is #2. these fit perfectly in the enviroment. like they are meant to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Meike I know I'm not under an obligation to chose a favourite but Meike made me think. I really disliked the grotesque Swedish Madonna - After the Bath. I've never really understood grotesques. I found the Veiled Man intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, the 'After the Bath' sculpture is not my favourite either - but if anywhere, I suppose that quarry by the sea may be the best place for her :) (And she makes quite a contrast to both the 'Novice' and the 'Veiled Man' ...)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...