Sunday 13 August 2023

Make Believe

May be an image of text that says "I need a day between every day to recover from the day before and prepare for the upcoming day."
(Meme copied from Facebook)

"I need a day between every day to
recover from the day before and
prepare for the upcoming day."
  

And that, of course, becomes even more true with an unusually intense week behind me...

For me it was only 2 days + 1 night away from home; but altogether I had ~ 4 days with my brother (three whole days + two half days). And I took lots of photos. So I'm going to take my time blogging about it.

P drove down here from Karlstad on Monday afternoon (7 Aug) and arrived towards evening. (For him a journey of around 300 km/185 miles.) Because of the weather (very rainy) we had decided not to set off for the coast until Wednesday (which might give us at least one sunny day on Thursday). So on Tuesday we had a fairly relaxed day with lunch at home, and in the afternoon just went for a short trip by car across town to the Abecita Art Museum (click if you want to know more about it) to see their current photo art exhibitons. The museum is spread over three large floors, and with five different current exhibitions (+ some permanent works from their own collection) we spent quite a while there.

The  exhibiton that I liked best was 'Make Believe' by photographer Erik Johansson. (Link to his own website.)



Some of his works fitted the rainy weather very well... ;)




And the one below made me think of Ginny of the blog Let Your Light Shine and her many wonderful photos of the Moon... ;)  (I cropped this image a little to get rid of some disturbing reflections in my own photo.)

 

 Looking out from a window at the Abecita Art Museum towards the shopping centre nearby.

We had coffee/tea in the museum café before we left; and before we went back home we also stopped at one of the nearby shopping malls, where I managed to find a pair of rubber boots. (Or 'wellingtons' or 'rain boots' or whatever - tell me your preferred name for them in the comments, if you like!) 

I had searched a couple of shoe shops in the city centre the week before without finding any in my size (not really surprising, after a whole month of rain!!) - but now at last found a pair that fit me, in a sport shop. Living in town, I've been managing without any for years - but realized that at least for one of our planned adventures, I'd probably really need them... 

McKinley XSAIL II gummistövel Blå

The rest of the day was spent packing (for me), planning for the trip, and general "catching up talk".
 
(PS. Speaking of catching up... In case someone is wondering, I have been reading/ catching up with more blog posts by my online friends than I've commented on.)

14 comments:

  1. I do like those boots, very smart, and those pictures are lovely. I particularly like that last one.
    Looking forward to reading your next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JC. I so rarely get "out of town" to see new views that I like to make the most of the occasions when I do! ;)

      Delete
  2. I last had rubber boots, they fit over my shoes, when I was 15, so take 15 from 79 and you know how long its been and that we called them rubber boots. these are much more fashionable than what they had for us in 1959. Had to have them to walk to school. none needed in the state of Georgia.
    as for the art museum, it if could fly i would come see it. that make believe is stunning. if you will buy me the bottle one I will pay for the shipping. LOL.
    love that big fish island too. if you have other photos hope we get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait, i found another one I want on his website. he is so talented I can't find words to say how his paintings make me feel. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, I think the website includes all of his works that we saw at the museum, and the website images are of much better quality than "my photos of his photos". (I did not see his website myself until today)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In English, I call them wellies. In German, they are Gummistiefel (rubber boots). My current pair are light blue ones, but I have worn them only once so far.

    Does your brother stay at your flat when he comes visiting? It does make a difference, doesn‘t it, when usually you are on your own and then there is someone else there 24/7.

    Some of the art works look familiar, although I really don‘t know where I might have seen them before. In any case, they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I know them as wellies in English too, but in Swedish it's "gummistövlar" (rubber boots). - Yes my brother stays at my flat when he's here (ever since we sold the inherited house outside town in 2014). I have a sofa bed in the living room. My bedroom is off the kitchen, and the bathroom is off the hall between the kitchen and the living room, so it works ok. And when we travel we always book two rooms. But of course it still gets more intense than either of us is used to in "everyday life".

      Delete
  6. I love the Make Believe exhibition! It is whimsical, dreamy, and just a bit spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like your rubber boots - they look very smart. I still have a pair of green wellies brought from the UK, so they are really vintage. No idea why I've kept them, or if they are still watertight, I don't think I've ever worn them!
    The exhibition is fantastic, I love the photos - what an inventive mind he has. I will enjoy looking at his website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'll probably be returning to his website as well - there is much to ponder about!

      Delete
  8. I call the gumboots wellies or wellingtons. Why 'gumboots'? I assume because they were originally made from rubber gum. They may still be for all I know. Living where I do I have three pairs of knee length boots and some shorter ones for less onerous or wet jobs around the garden. They are an essential in rural Scotland!

    The pictures are absolutely wonderful. I would really love to go to an exhibition of such works. Johansson's work is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for including a link to his website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, 'gumboots' seems perfectly logical to me, as the Swedish word is 'gummistövlar'... 'Wellies' on the other hand would be a mystery to me, if I had not already learned that word in English a long time ago!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...