Tuesday 1 August 2023

Bye Bye July

Practically every day in July this year came with rain (showers) - and August seems set on continuing the same way. I've not been out of town all summer, and it's getting a bit tough to come up with blog fodder... ;)

Sunday afternoon was only semi-cloudy, though; and I wanted a few things from the supermarket before my next home delivery, so I steered my walk that way. Alas, last year they closed off an old footbridge on which I used to cross the river when going that way in the past. (I suppose because it was no longer considered safe.) Since then, my walk to the supermarket has become slightly longer, and more boring, as it's all along busy roads now. (I still always like the views from crossing the river, though.)

On this occasion, I took an even longer detour on my way there, so that I got to cross different bridges going there and back.


Above: View looking south from a bridge closer to town, towards the one that I normally cross to get to the supermarket. Below: View south from the bridge closer to home. The old footbridge was near the red gable in the background of that view.


“When you cross a bridge, you take a break from this world!”
--  Mehmet Murat ildan 

"The hardest thing in life to learn is which bridge to cross and which to burn."
-- David Russell

 

8 comments:

  1. been there done that by crossing the wrong bridges a few times and burning a few I should not have. you have so much beauty no matter the way you walk. I should do a walk and show how boring it is with mile after mile of house after house. I love all your green spaces and trees and flowers and ART

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I guess one probably gets a bit bored from time to time with walking the same streets/paths, whereever one lives. In general, I'm quite happy to live where I do, with plenty of old trees in the neighbourhood, the river not too far away, and being able to walk to most places where I need to go.

      Delete
  2. Too bad they closed the other one. Will they repair or rebuild it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I don't think there are any current plans for that. The bridge was not originally built as a footbridge but to convey some pipes over the river. But they added a footbridge on top and it has served as such for as long as I've lived here. But there's also more traffic nowadays on one side of the river, and limited visibility, and I suppose that probably affects the decision to close it as well (to avoid accidents).

      Delete
  3. That's still a very pleasant walk Monica, there's so much greenery along the way, and you have the river to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Carol. And as I shop online with home delivery every fortnight, it's not all that often that I need to walk that way either.

      Delete
  4. All that rain has made for a very good green in your town. From what O.K. says, back home it has been raining a bit now, too - sorely needed. Here in Ripon, we are having the coldest and wettest day of our stay. No problem for us, since we‘ve taken advantage of the good weather every day until now, and can easily spend a quiet day at our cottage, reading etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, the grass is certainly a lot greener now than it was back in June! :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...