Saturday 19 August 2023

Smögen



(Still Thursday 10 August)
From Hunnebostrand (previous two posts) we drove on another 11 km or so down south to Smögen - another old west coast village with not very many permanent inhabitants in winter, but all the more crowded with tourists in the summer holiday season. (Smögen is also closely connected with a somewhat larger small town, Kungshamn - but we did not have time to stop there as well.)

"In modern times, Smögen is well known for its long, wooden pier, about 600 m (2,000 ft), filled with shops in old fishing huts, which are frequented by a multitude of tourists during the summer. Smögen is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the Swedish west coast, well known for its fish, prawns and other seafood, and one of Sweden's few fish markets is located here. There is also an extensive nightlife scene, with many bars, clubs and concert venues open during the summer" (Wikipedia)

In general, I'm not all that fond of really crowded places. But there was one very special reason why I wanted to go to Smögen - and in fact, that was also what inspired me to suggest this whole trip to begin with... 

The things is, I have an old friend (Lena) since nearly 50 years who is a water colour artist, and nowadays (having retired from her other job as a teacher) living full time on the west coast; and in summer she always has a few exhibitions in these kinds of places. I've never yet (until now) had the opportunity to visit any of her exhibitions, but I have long been wanting to. And last week happened to be her last week (of three) in Smögen, and Thursday the next to last day of the exhibition... So I was really excited that we managed to fit that in!

Just finding somewhere to park in Smögen is an ordeal in itself, but at last we managed it (although it required quite a bit of manouvering skills from my brother). And then we just followed the general stream of other tourists towards the famous wooden pier... 






Lena had sent me a photo of "her" fishing hut, so I knew what to look for... (I had texted her the evening before to tell her that we intended to come by, and to make sure she was going to be there in person). I'm taking the liberty of including her photo here (taken on a less busy day), as I forgot to take one myself once we were there. (The items on display outdoors are trays and coasters and other items with printed images of her paintings, not so sensitive to the weather - and no doubt very popular tourist souvenirs.)

The disadvantage of being there on a rather busy day was that she had lots of other customers popping in and out of the tiny shop while I was there, interrupting our chatting... (But I was prepared that it would be like that.) Still, it was really great to meet her again (many years since we last met in person, I can't even remember when that was). An extra reason now being that we lost a dear mutual friend back in January - so quite a lot of our chat was related to that. As a 'bonus', just when we arrived, one of her sisters happened to be there as well - but just about to leave. Even longer since I last met her; and good to see her too again - even if only to say "hi and goodbye"...

My brother rambled off on his own along the pier for a while, leaving us to our memories... And while Lena was busy with customers, I climbed upstairs on my own to have a peek at her exhibition of originals and large prints up there.

 


Before we left, my brother took this photo (below) of the two of us. 


I also made a purchase (the parcel Lena is holding)... I've long been thinking that I'd like to have an original painting by her. I have some trays since before, and also a couple of small signed and framed prints (which she sent me by post). But buying an original is different - and not something I'm used to doing. I looked through the ones she had for sale upstairs (mostly signed prints, but she had a few originals too) but it was when I got back down again that my eyes fell on one that I almost immediately felt could be The One. And it turned out to be an original from which no prints have been made. I almost had a hard time convincing her that I really wanted to buy it (not just because of feeling some sort of obligation to buy one) ... But it did get to go home with me in the end. :)  Lena wrapped it up well for me, and my brother carried it to the car. Back at home I soon found the perfect place for it: in my hall, just by the (doorless) opening into my living room. (I do love it, and  there's no way I'll regret the purchase!)

 


You can see more of Lena's art on her website here.


 

14 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you had the chance to see your old friend, even more poignant now that you lost another friend not long ago. Plus you found a great and completely unique souvenir to take home with you . well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, visting one of Lena's exhibitions has been on my 'mental bucket list' for quite a few years by now, so I'm very happy we were able make it this year!

      Delete
  2. Your photos are outstanding and I like the painted buildings and reflections in the water. Your friend is talented and you made a great choice in which original painting to buy. Nice to catch up with a long time friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, walking in Smögen felt like walking in one of Lena's typical paintings :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful nighttime painting. She is very talented. This looks like a lovely little seaside town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it is a very charming place - and a lot of people have discovered that...!

      Delete
  4. It's so good to meet up with someone you haven't seen for many years. What a wonderful artist Lena is, and the painting you chose is a beautiful reminder of your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. It was really lovely to meet her "in her element" (like part of her own paintings, in a way) - even if there was no opportunity for a long "uninterrupted" chat. And I'm also happy that I was able to buy that painting.

      Delete
  5. the painting is perfect for the wall space you have, like it was custom designed. she is a talented artist. her shack is really cut and i enjoyed all the photos today, a place i would be happy just wandering and looking all that is there. the painting will remind you of your trip and the artist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, she is very good at what she does and has definitely found her "niche". She was born on the west coast and her love for it shines through in her paintings.

      Delete
  6. I can well understand why you would like that picture and to have one so personal and reminiscent of old times is a huge bonus.

    It is very obvious seeing the place why it is so popular as a tourist attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I imagine it is similar with Stornoway and your island - a lot more tourists swarming around in summer than in the winter season, I mean... :)

      Delete
  7. Lena is very talented, my grandfather was an artist but it didn't seem to rub off on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I suspect that to become a professional artist (or even semi-professional) it also takes quite a lot of determination to make the most of that talent.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...