Sunday 6 August 2023

Some books I listened to this summer

Most of my summer "reading" has been audio books - which makes it difficult to write proper reviews, as one can't go back and check details the way one can with text. But I thought I'd mention some of the books I've been listening to through May-July; making use of quotes from official publishers' summaries.

  The Forgotten Garden By Kate Morton

In May I listened via Audible to a new book by one of my favourite authors, Kate Morton: Homecoming (read by Claire Foy). Have to confess that even when re-reading the publisher's summary now, three months later, I don't really remember much of it myself... I should probably listen to it again! ;-)

"--- Jess is a journalist in search of a story. Having lived and worked in London for nearly two decades, she now finds herself laid off from her full-time job and struggling to make ends meet. Until a phone call out of nowhere summons her back to Sydney, where her beloved grandmother, Nora, has suffered a fall and been raced to the hospital. At Nora’s house, Jess discovers a true crime book that chronicles the police investigation into a long-buried event: the Turner Family Tragedy of Christmas Eve, 1959. It is only when Jess skims through the pages that she finds a shocking connection between her own family and this once-infamous scandal – a murder mystery that has never been resolved satisfactorily."

Earlier books by Kate Morton have left me with deeper impressions, and after having finished Homecoming, I went back and re-listened to The Forgotten Garden, which I read for the first time in 2012. The link goes to the review on this blog that I wrote back then.

Inspired by a review on Meike's blog of Michelle Obama's book The Light We Carry, I listened to that as audio book in Swedish via my library. Not quite the same as listening to her read it herself in English, but still worth the time.

In June and July I listened books 2 and 3 in the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, which I found included in my Audible membership. I remembered reading the first one (Crocodile on the Sandbank) on Kindle some time in the past.

These books are set against the backdrop of exploring Egyptian pyramids and graves back in in the late 19th / early 20th century. The author has a Ph.D. in Egyptology at the University of Chicago, and authentic historical background details is really what I liked best about the books. As for the characters... A bit exaggerated and not quite as believable, perhaps...

"If Indiana Jones were female, a wife, and a mother who lived in Victorian times, he would be Amelia Peabody Emerson."--Publishers Weekly

In the first book Amelia is single. In the next two (The Curse of the Pharaos, and The Mummy Case), i.e. the two I listened to now, she's married to another archaeologist; and in the third one their young son proves extremely 'forward' for his age. Now having realised that this series just keeps going on and on and on (20 books so far), I don't really feel tempted to continue to read them all, as that seem likely to get very repetitious. But who knows... Perhaps I'll return to read another one some day, even if not in the very near future.

I also listened to C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity read by Geoffrey Howard, also "included" in my Audible membership. I have it in paperback since long ago and have read it before, but enjoyed listening to it now. I've read most of his books, both fiction and theological (+ biographies about him by others), and he's no doubt the Christian author that has influenced me the most, and that I keep coming back to.

"First heard as informal radio broadcasts and then published as three separate books --- Mere Christianity brings together what Lewis sees as the fundamental truths of the religion. Rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations, C.S. Lewis finds a common ground on which all those who have Christian faith can stand together --- "

  Mere Christianity By C. S. Lewis 

I also listened to a series of lectures (12 x 30 min) about The Life and Writings of C.S. Lewis by Louis Markos. Interesting for the same reasons as above.

Little Lord Fauntleroy By Frances Hodgson Burnett

I also listened to a classic children's book, Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett, read by Donada Peters. (Another one "included" in my Audible membership.) I've read it in the past, but I really enjoyed rereading it again (more than thought I would!) 

Young Cedric Errol lives in poverty in New York with his mother. When his father, who was disinherited for marrying an American, dies, Cedric is summoned to his grandfather's English estate. While the crotchety old Earl planned to transform the boy into a docile, traditional lording, it is Little Lord Fauntleroy who does the converting. Through his goodness and innocence, he wins the hearts of his English relatives who welcome his mother with open arms, and he teaches the Earl some valuable lessons about the true meaning of nobility. - This classic tale embodies the author's belief that "Nothing in the world is so strong as a kind heart". 

I very much appreciate the possibility to reread old favourites and classics as audio books (while "resting my eyes"...) There are several in my "audio collection" that I keep returning to more than once, in between adding new ones.

14 comments:

  1. I find books in series and love them, but I like them to stop at about 5 to 6. I have read 26 of 30 in a series, but I read other books between. all in a row, they all begin to sound the same. one series i loved the first 3 but could not read 4, sent it back and tried 5 and it was good. subject matter not writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, no doubt a lot of series, once they win popularity, tend to continue a bit "too long" ... I also find that often it works better for me as reader if I happen to get into a series already with the first book or two when they are still new - but then have to wait until the next one gets published...

      Delete
  2. I have not heard of these. But I do know the C.S. Lewis! And Faunteleroy, that is a kind of cliche saying here. I did not know it is actually a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, there have also been movies and TV series based on Lille Lord Fauntleroy so I guess many people can have a concept of the character without actually having read the book.

      Delete
  3. I think that's something I need to do more of on my days off while I'm doing crochet, have you listened to podcasts? I really enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I listen to Swedish Radio podcasts sometimes, but I don't follow any in English.

      Delete
  4. We have many of the same reading tastes. I read all of the Amelia Peabody series, I like the setting in Egypt and the tool belt she wears. C.S. Lewis is my main Christian mentor too, I have read most of his books, he is so wise. Little Lord Fauntleroy sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I have to confess that I did not take special note of Amelia Peabody's tool belt... But perhaps when one has read enough books in the series, one does! ;)

      Delete
  5. When you mentioned Kate Morton, I knew I had read something by her and went to look at your review of "The Forgotten Garden", surprised that I had not commented there.
    Then I checked my own blog and found that I have read the book in 2010, without posting a proper review; I merely included it in a post about "Notes to Self".

    As always, your selection of reading (or listening) material is interesting!
    Like you, I doubt I would want to go along with the entire Peabody series.

    Little Lord Fauntleroy has never been among my favourite of FHB's works, but I know it quite well.
    The Secret Garden and The Lost Prince (see my review of that here) are much better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I like the Secret Garden as well. I don't think I've ever heard of The Lost Prince. Checking now, I found that as an audio book included in my Audible membership as well, so I might give that a go.
      One never quite knows with audio books - sometimes a good narration "lifts" a book (I think that may have been the case with Little Lord Fountleroy), sometimes a voice/recording one doesn't like has the opposite effect.

      Delete
  6. I have read a couple of Kate Morton books, one of which I'm sure is The Forgotten Garden. Little Lord Fauntleroy was prescribed reading when I was small, but I preferred The Secret Garden. Both these FHB books I also remember as serialised on Children's Television way back in the 50's when we just had BBC in black and white!
    I haven't listened to audio books, though I've often thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol (sorry, I seem to have missed replying to your comment earlier) Having had (and still having) long term problems with my neck, including difficulties to hold books in the right position for reading, I have found listening to audio books a great way to combine 'reading' with resting.

      Delete
  7. Back in the days when I read books I read Mere Christianity and others by C S Lewis. I also read Kate Moreton's 'The Forgotten Garden' though I cannot recall anything about it but I bought The House at Riverton and it still languishes all these years later on my shelves to be read. Having just re-read the jacket cover I doubt it ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I still have too many books like that in my collection as well - not least on my Kindle! (i.e. unlikely to ever get read, even if that was my original intention...)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...