Sunday 22 October 2023

Dressed for Autumn

 

Maybe you remember (if I remind you) that back in May, I donated most of my childhood Barbie dolls to the Salvation Army's second hand shop - but decided to keep two (one Barbie and one Skipper) + a selection of the clothes my mum made back in the 1960s. 

Not much point in keeping them unless I also "play" with them now and then, though... So at some point in September, with autumn setting in, it occurred to me to take them out of their box, dress them for an "autumn party", and keep them on display for a while (on a bookshelf in the living room). 

Lately it's been getting so cold outside that looking at their bare arms and legs made me feel they really needed to dress warmer, though. So I changed their outfits to more casual.

I might keep on letting them try out different outfits every now and then for a while - at least until I've had them showing off most of the different items in their wardrobe... ;-) 

For myself, I got my 2nd warmest winter coat out of storage this week, as we've been having temperatures not far from freezing point, storm Babet and heavy rain to battle. 

I don't think the storm caused any major damage just around here, but it was bad along the south-west coast. Trains and flights cancelled, trees falling on roads and buildings, flooding etc. For my own part, though, I could just stay in while it was at its worst. And not having a garden, I don't even have to tidy up outside afterwards...

Photos from Thursday - before the storm...



 

 

16 comments:

  1. Oh my! The colours of those leaves. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC, yes - especially on a sunny day, it's hard to resist stopping for photos...

      Delete
  2. What a magnificent colour those leaves are, yet I notice that behind the apartments the leaves on the trees have hardly turned.
    Barbie and Skipper look very smart, and a lot warmer in their autumn outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Carol - there's still a big variety in colour between different trees. Some have lost all their leaves already; others are still quite green.

      Delete
  3. I really like the orange leaves with the orange buildings. gorgeous trees. i think it great to keep the dolls out and change their clothing too. i see no point in having a treasure if you can't see it. like having diamonds in a bank saftey deposit . enjoy them, and i love the long sleeves best. your mother was talented. do they have Christmas clothing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, no, there were never any special Christmas clothes for any of them. They do have matching winter jackets, though, so those might come out at some point...

      Delete
  4. The trees are gorgeous. Youy Mom was such a talented seamstress. I think you should keep the dolls out all the time, changing their outfits from time to time. Love the gorgeous orange dress, prefect for October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, when not out and about in the flat showing off their clothes and trigging my memories of the 60s, they live in a box in my bedroom now (easily accessible). So they might withdraw there for a bit of rest in between... ;-)

      Delete
  5. I admire your mother's skill and patience. Last week I found a barbie doll in an op shop, nicely dressed, but I thought I could do better. I couldn't. I used to make little outfits for my daughters and g-daughters but my fingers are no longer up to it.
    As you bring out your winter woolies, I'm packing mine away and reaching for summerish clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, it's really fiddly work to make things so small, isn't it!

      Delete
  6. You did well to keep the one Barbie, Skipper and their clothes. I love that orange dress - would want it for myself, really :-D
    To get out your second-warmest winter coat was certainly a good idea. I used my warmest one already last week for the one day I went to Ulm for a work-related course. It is always "one coat colder" there, as we say here, and indeed it was the first frosty night and just about 1C by the time I walked the short distance from the hotel to the course location.
    As for the storm, all we got down here was a bit windy and wet, but further north in Germany, there was considerable damage. One woman died in her car when a tree fell on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I bet the dress (in appropriate size) would look good on you, too! ;-)

      Delete
  7. You would probably find that your barbie is worth a bit of money these days. I remember having one but it was bald and there were wigs to go with it. Think I gave it to my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy that is actually the Barbie in my photo here and the one I decided to keep! She has three different wigs, but I always liked this one the best (so to me this is the "real" her). The six dolls that I gave away I did consider selling - but I did not want the trouble and did not need the money, so felt better about giving them to charity instead. Hopefully they made some other people happy, one way or the other! I decided to keep these two (+ some of all the clothes made by my mum) for nostalgic reasons though.

      Delete
  8. Stunning colours. I'm back into my winter coat too. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Graham, no doubt we can count on winter coat weather for several months ahead now...

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...