Monday 23 October 2023

New Installments in Two Favourite Book Series

* T.E. Kinsey - Lady Hardcastle Mysteries 10
* J.R. Ellis -  Yorkshire Murder Mysteries 9

 


A Fire at the Exhibition by T E Kinsey
A Lady Hardcastle Mystery, Book 10
Audio book narrated by: Elizabeth Knowelden
Length: 9 hrs and 21 mins
Release date: 09-05-23 

Publisher's summary
May 1912. After the previous year’s deadly heatwave, it’s been an uneventful spring in Littleton Cotterell. Though for Lady Hardcastle and her fiercely loyal lady’s maid Flo, at least there are the provincial delights of the village’s inaugural art exhibition—and bicycle race—to look forward to.

But at the exhibition opening, there’s a panicked shout of ‘Fire!’ In the confusion, the main attraction—an extremely expensive book—is stolen from under everyone’s nose, as is a valuable painting lent by Sir Hector Farley-Stroud. Then the race, which starts as a charming day out, ends in a shocking death. And to top it all off, the Farley-Strouds reveal they’re in debt and might lose their house.

The sleuthing duo soon find themselves torn between a murder investigation, an art theft mystery, and trying to help their pals. All with a suspicious figure from Flo’s past, a supercilious insurance investigator, and a pair of rather bizarre treasure hunters on the loose…

I continue to enjoy this series about Lady Hardcastle and her lady's maid Florence. A lot of the serie's charm lies in the main characters and the repartee between them. As I've probably said before, I'm also drawn to it because of my own family history research to do with my grandmother's older sister who worked as lady's maid back in those days as well. [Her background less adventurous as Flo's, and as far as I know she was not involved in any murder investigations - but still... ;) ]

 

The Brewery Murders By J. R. Ellis


The Brewery Murders by J.R. Ellis
A Yorkshire Murder Mystery, Book 9
Audio book narrated by: Michael Page
Length: 8 hrs and 10 mins
Release date: 09-28-23 

Publisher's summary

An award-winning beer worth killing for. Can DCI Oldroyd find the killer before last orders?

Steeped in a history of award-winning Yorkshire ale, the town of Markham boasts not one but two breweries. Richard Foster runs one; his sister, Emily, along with her partner, Janice, runs the other. And not without some resentment.

The unwelcome return of the town’s former bad boy, Brendan Scholes, threatens to ignite the sibling rivalry further. Scholes claims to have found the long-lost secret recipe to the beer that made Richard and Emily’s father famous, and he wants money.

But it isn’t long before Scholes’ body is found floating in a fermentation tank at one of the breweries, his head caved in by a hammer. DCI Oldroyd and Andy Carter are called in to investigate the murder, and there’s no shortage of suspects.

As rumours of the possible existence of a recipe for the famous beer spread against a backdrop of growing homophobia and misogyny, tempers run high. With Markham’s beer industry at stake, a killer on the loose and the town’s residents out for blood, Oldroyd needs to solve the murder before someone else is killed…

This is another series with quite a few books published in a rather short time. And this one too relies a good deal on its sympathetic main charachters - who in this case are police officers in contemporary Yorkshire. As I'm not a beer drinker myself, this particular installment may not be remembered by me as my favourite in the series; but as usual the story is excellently narrated by Michael Page, making the most of the Yorkshire accent. 

Something else these two series have in common is that besides the Kindle books not being all that expensive, they also always (so far) offer the Audible version at a real bargain price if you buy the e-book as well. And I really appreciate when I can alternate as a I please between reading with my eyes open or closed! :) 

12 comments:

  1. We love mysteries, especially the British ones. We have Britbox and watch them on that. I haven't heard of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, as far as I know these books have not been turned into TV series.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for letting me know about the latest DCI Oldroyd mystery - you know how much I love that series! I shall visit Amazon's Kindle shop right away and download it.
    From the blurb, it sounds like Markham stands in for Masham, the tiny market town not far from Ripon where the famous Black Sheep brewery is one of the main attractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I have just bought the book, and pre-ordered the 10th instalment (The Canal Murders) as well. It is scheduled to come out in April.

      Delete
    2. Meike, yes I noticed that as well (the 10th book already planned). I don't pre-order these but wait for the deal with e-book+ audio book to turn up when they are published.

      Delete
  3. I'm waiting for this Lady Hardcastle book to be offered at a reasonable price on Kindle, having read most of the series. I have read some of the J.R. Ellis Oldroyd books and have a feeling I already have this one on my Kindle waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I buy my Kindle books from the international/US website so not sure if the prices are the same. I've noticed tht sometimes the price on the previous book in a series is reduced when the next one is coming up, but not sure if that always applies. On the whole I've found this series "affordable enough" for me so far, because of the kindle+audible deal (which is cheaper than buying only the audio book)

      Delete
    2. Monica, I buy from the UK website, so prices are in sterling, which I pay through my UK bank account. As I buy several Kindle books a month, I tend to wait until something I fancy is rock bottom price. I've set myself an upper limit of around 3 pounds per book for something really special!

      Delete
  4. aggravation now, i typed a very long comment, hit the space bar and GONE... wish i knew what makes that happen. now to remember what i wrote. I love series of books, my two favorites, I am on 28 on one and 9 on the other and eagerly await the email from amazon that the next is available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, so annoying when that happens! Thanks for starting over :) Yes, a good series of books can be quite addictive. Takes some skill from an author to keep up the quality though.

      Delete
  5. I read quite a few mystery series, and think I would enjoy these two series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, they're both in the "classical" mystery tradition rather than focusing too much on forensics and other gory details.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...