Friday 6 October 2023

Temporary Autumn Collage

 

September on the whole was unusually mild, and there is still quite a lot of greens dominating in the trees - but the variety in colour is increasing. On my walk around the old cemetery the other day (late Wednesday afternoon) I picked up a few freshly fallen horse chestnuts and some colourful maple leaves from the ground, thinking I might make something of them back home. Got a bit difficult to carry them all with my bare hands, though (the outer shells of horse chestnuts are very prickly!) so changed my mind along the way, and decided to just make a temporary art installation of them on a park bench, and take photos instead... ;-) 


I left them on the bench like that (2nd photo), counting on more wind and rain over night to wash/blow them away. So was very surprised when I passed the same spot again yesterday afternoon (after a rainy night, followed by a sunny day) to still find the collage composition changed only by the removal of one leaf:


 

12 comments:

  1. It's really pretty. Must have been a really calm night. But then the chestnuts are kind of holding them down. I bet it was the yellow leaf on the right that was gone. I like the first photo the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, you can see in the third photo which leaf was gone.

      Delete
  2. Autumn is so very beautiful, isn't it, and it is obvious even from just a single leaf or a glossy chestnut.
    I have picked up a few chestnuts during walks, and in Austria, a yellow leaf from a mountain maple along the way winked at me and wanted to be taken to Germany. It did, and after I have expertly dried and pressed it (under the weight of my water bottle in our hotel room), glued it into my diary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever collage and nice idea to leave it for other people to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it was actually still there this afternoon, which surprised me even more, considering that it was raining again today, and quite windy, too!

      Delete
  4. this is art like the painted rocks, just arranged colors. it is really pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sure what painted rocks you're referring to Sandra, but in my own mind I was thinking of crayon street art, which is also soon washed away by rain.

      Delete
  5. I'm always happified when I see 'of the moment' or spontaneous art such as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, with a bit of daily maintenance from me it lasted a week, but yesterday the wind and rain had swept away all but two brown leaves + the chestnuts, so I declared the show over and removed the rest as well! Fun while it lasted, though!

      Delete
  6. They would look great in a picture frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I suppose I could frame the photo... ;-)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...