Tuesday 7 November 2023

Double Vaccination

 Back in mid October or so I got a message from my primary care centre about booking time for the seasonal flu vaccionation + a booster dose of updated covid vaccine. The premises across town where they used to coordinate all vaccinations during the pandemic were closed after last year's flu season; and this year they are instead using premises in close connection to my primary care centre in the town centre (within walking distance for me). It seemed they were keeping the same time booking system as during the pandemic though, and as it worked fairly smoothly back then, I expected it to still do so now, even if in another place. So I booked myself in on the first day available (=today), at 2:10 pm, to get it over with. 

It was raining in the morning, but the rain stopped around noon, and I went for a 20 min walk into town, arriving at the health centre ten minutes before my allotted time. There was no queue outside - "so far, so good"... BUT when I got inside, I found the waiting room absolutely crowded, and chaos seemed to reign... The poor nurses at the reception desk kept explaining that somehow too many patients had been booked into each time slot, so they were running behind... And we were all told to "sit down and wait", even though there clearly weren't enough seats for that... Most of us were over retirement age and there were also quite a few people in need of canes, crutches, walkers or wheelchairs + someone to accompany them. The registration process did not seem optimised to run smoothly either. The nurses on duty were no doubt doing their best under the circumstances - I'd say the fault was in the overall planning... (And I have to say that did surprise me, considering all the experience they ought to have gathered from organizing things during the pandemic!)

The main difference between the (AI generated) image above and today is that I think I was the only (!!) person in the room actually wearing a face mask. I'm not really fanatic about that in most contexts now - but as soon as I saw how crowded the waiting room was, I immediately chose to put one on (I had one with me). They also had some at the reception desk, but no one was told/asked to wear them (as we always were during the pandemic), and I saw no one else using one! - neither staff nor patients.
 
While I was booked for 2:10, I had to wait until nearly 3 o'clock until it was my turn. I found an empty chair after a while though (and even a bit to the side), so at least didn't have to stand the whole time. 
 
Once I got into the nurse's cubicle (I think they had three of them) the actual procedure of getting my two injections went smoothly, though. I've never had both vaccines at the same time before, but I got one in each arm this time. 
 



I did not manage to get AI to draw exactly the image I had in mind (an octupus injecting itself) but I kind of like the facial expressions on these two above... ;)
 
Just after 3 pm I was out of the chaos; and as it was still not raining, I had another fairly pleasant 20 min walk back home - where I settled down with a cup of tea and a piece of cake in front of the TV to relax for a while... Phew!
 

Remains to be seen how I'll be feeling tomorrow, having had both vaccines at the same time. I have absolutely nothing planned for tomorrow except a day of rest, though! On Thursday I have the laundry room again; but I can move that booking if I don't feel up for it. And on Friday I have a delivery of groceries coming, but I don't have to go anywhere.

13 comments:

  1. I hope you feel OK over the next few days after having both vaccinations.
    We are booked for our Covid boosters next week but I am a little nervous about this one for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, so far I'm feeling fine - a bit sore around where the needles went in, as usual, but no other symptoms. I think it was only with my first covid jab that I was also feverish for a day or so.

      Delete
  2. Good on you for getting your vaccinations and wearing a face mask. I work in retail and I've found this winter to be really tough constantly getting flu viruses off the customers. I'm due to get my flu jab next week and I've been wearing a mask at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, here in Sweden it was really only in health care that face masks were mandatory even during the worst of the pandemic. But I was still surprised that it wasn't still part of the routine for the mass vaccination procedure - with the waiting room so crowded, and most of us "seniors".

      Delete
  3. The still reflective waters in your photos are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. I loved how the low afternoon sun breaking through the clouds was reflected in the river.

      Delete
  4. I love the octopus creations, they are fun! We got both the flu and new Covid vaccines and had no side effects. But the RSV (respiratory virus) vaccine was something else. I had a bad reaction to it, Phil did not. That was a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, sorry that you had a bad reaction to the RSV vaccine - I hope it will still protect you from the virus itself if you come across that. I've not yet been recommended to take that one so will pass for now.

      Delete
  5. It really is astonishing that the overall organization of vaccinating was so chaotic, after all the experience gathered over the past few years.
    Hopefully, you'll feel fine today.
    I had my two jabs on Friday, the 13th (of all days!) in October; Covid on the left, flu on the right arm. Apart from a painful left upper arm, I was absolutely fine. There is no pattern, I know; some people go through the full flu symptoms after a flu jab, but fortunately, I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I was surprised too. I've had some chaotic experience with drop-in flu vaccinations before, but as they were using time booking now I expected it to run more smoothly. Ah well, it's done now - and no side effects so far, except a bit sore around both injection spots (as expected).

      Delete
  6. Carol, I've been taking the flu vaccinations every year for about 20 years now and I think it was only the very first one or two I had a stronger reaction to (and the same with the covid vaccine). Before I started taking the annual flu jab, I often got long lasting colds and flu in winter, with aftermaths demanding antibiotics. Sincethe flu vaccine, I've never needed antibiotics again (not for sinus trouble or chest infections anyway). Which makes it well worth while for me to go through the minor discomfort of getting the annual flu jab...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthcare here has gone crazy. but we don't have to deal with healthcare. we can walk into any Pharmacy that takes our insurace and get injections. we both felt tired ad achey for 4 days after the covid. the next day we were fine, but days 2 through 4, we felt really tired. i refused to take two shots at the same time. flu shots were fine. did not do the rsv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I always count on some mild side effects so have nothing strenuous planned for the next few days.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...