Tuesday 28 November 2023

Let There Be Light

 

Monday afternoon walk

Wintry weather this week inspired me to get started with my Advent decorations a few days earlier than planned. (Looking at the dates, not really earlier than usual though, as Advent comes "late" this year, with the 4th Advent Sunday coinciding with Christmas Eve.)

Anyway, it struck me that I would have more time for decorating on Monday-Tuesday than I would have later in the week. So I started with the kitchen and bedroom yesterday; and continued with the living room and study today. 

Kitchen

 The kitchen is always the biggest project because there I also change the curtains.

Bedroom

Study

Living room

Balcony

Back in my childhood, as well as in my first flat back in my 20s, we/I just had one window star, in the kitchen (the same kind and colour of paper star as I still have in the kitchen), and one electric candlestick, in the living room. 

Ever since I moved into the flat where I live now, though (15 years ago), I've had the setup that I do now.  (Except that I've had to exchange one or two candlesticks over time. But this year - so far! - I did not even have to play "find the faulty light bulb" with any of them...)

Glad to have them all back up once again, to brighten up the December darkness.

(As usual, I will be adding my other Christmas things week by week until Christmas.)

 
In honour of the freshly fallen snow (so far only a very light layer) and outdoors temperatures now around -7°C (19°F), Barbie and Skipper have donned matching winter jackets + knitted hats (all made by my mum back in the 1960s). (Skipper only had summer shoes in her wardrobe, though, so I had to make her a pair of snowboots out of cotton pads and surgical paper tape...)

Today, just a short walk outdoors before lunch (photos from around 11:30 am).

8 comments:

  1. yay for tape boots. great idea. welcome back beautiful stars. it is a great time to brighten up you home. you know how much I love your winter kitchen, the curtains are so pretty. it does look dreary out and 19 is way to cold, i am huddled under a flannel gown and its 60 F outside. brrrr at least there is no snow now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. Feels good to have the decorations up again, especially since it has kept on snowing all day today as well. Also laundry day for me, so I've not been out at all today.

      Delete
  2. During all of my childhood and youth, we had not a single electric item for Advent and Christmas decorations; now my Mum's flat is full of battery-driven lights, plugged in candlesticks and so on.
    I still only have real candles, but one small yellow "Herrnhuther" star to plug in and hang in front of one of my living room windows, a gift from my sister.
    As usual, I will host a party for my girlfriends on the first Friday in December, which is this coming Friday. For that, I am going to put up a first few Advent/Christmas decorations; the rest will follow.
    Skipper's boots look comfy and cosy - I bet Barbie envies her a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I still light real candles too now and then, but I'm very careful with those now, only light them when I plan to be sitting still (and awake!) in one place for a while, and using "safe" candle holders.

      Delete
  3. It really does look very wintry outdoors, but how warm and welcoming your flat is. How lovely to come back to your lovely decorations and cheerful home after a walk in the chilly fresh air.
    On Saturday, according to the local forecast, it's going down to +4ºC overnight - that really is exceptionally cold for us, and our homes are not well insulated against winter weather. Having had such good weather for so long, we're all rather hoping that the forecast is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Here it has continued snowing all day today and I've been staying in (also having laundry to do, so for exercise I walked up and down the stairs a few times instead of taking the lift, those turns when I did not have too much to carry!)

      Delete
  4. I do like your decorations. Elegant and simple, not like the tacky bling we so often see here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee. It's my tradition to add few more items each week until Christmas - but too much gold and glitter has never really been my style. ;-)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...