Thursday 16 November 2023

Lights in the Dark

 


Out for a short walk around 4 pm today (just after sunset, but the sky overcast) I noticed that they had put the Christmas lights up in the playground park.

 

 
A bit earlier in the afternoon, between turns to the laundry room, I had also fetched my own little tree from my basement storage room and put that up on my balcony. 


I'll probably keep it "off" most of the time until December; but I know from experience that it's best to put it up on a dry day with neither rain nor snow going on. We've not had snow yet - but actually, when I was out on my after-sunset walk a bit later, there were a few tiny white grains in the air... So probably just as well that I grabbed the opportunity.

Some of the branches on my little tree do not light up any more, but enough of them still do. And unlit, in the daylight, the bulbs look like little white berries, so it still serves as a winter decoration on the otherwise very empty balcony.  

8 comments:

  1. All the lights are magical. And your little tree is very cool, I love it! I would buy one like this is we had a porch or deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny. I like that tree because it's fairly easy to put up and take down, and not too "christmassy" either, so I feel can have it up a bit longer than I would a traditional Christmas tree (spruce).

      Delete
  2. your little tree looks beautiful, and that is great it is lit or unlit looks good. love the trees all lit up with their leaves gone. beautiful park in the half dark. i put my little 18 in tree in the nook day before yesterday, and 2 glass deer. that is about all i am doing. unless i change my mind. just lights and pine cones, no balls .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. My indoors decorations will be put up gradually as usual, starting just before 1st Advent weekend.

      Delete
  3. All the lights look pretty. Here in town, everything is being readied for the Christmas market, which starts next week Thursday. Yay! I will go and meet old school mates there on Friday evening, provided the weather suits me.
    As for Christmas/Advent decorations in my flat, I will only bring them out in time for the 1st Advent Sunday (which I won't spend at my place, but at O.K.'s cottage).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, here the rumour is that the town will be putting up less Christmas trees and lights than usual because of saving requirements. Not sure if that's the way to go at the same time as complaining that there are too many empty shops in the city centre ever since the pandemic (and thus also less people roaming the streets)... But perhaps the remaining shops will try to make up for it - I don't know!

      Delete
  4. How cheerful the lights look in the late afternoon gloom. I love your tree on the balcony and look forward to seeing your other Christmas decorations.
    My decorations seem to consist of a very ancient Ikea advent candelabra, an unusual festive candle (a gift from a Swedish friend), and a small cane sleigh to which I've added small baubles and tiny battery operated snowflake lights. I have a festive wreath I made years ago and used outdoors every Christmas in the UK, but here there isn't anywhere for it to go. The decorations will probably go up on 24th December and be packed away again a few days later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I intend to put up my indoors decorations gradually as usual - starting with window stars and candles for 1st Advent, and adding a bit more each week until Christmas. Mine then usually stay up until mid January as that was the tradition I grew up with.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...