Tuesday 25 June 2024

Adrift

After having watched the artists at work on the huge mural in yesterday's post, I walked on along the river, and after a while arrived at this scene, with some boat sculptures adrift on the water.








The brochure about the art biennial that I found online suggests the following interpretation:

The boats are drifting with the wind. Are they on
a peaceful trip, enjoying the calm, or have they
lost hope of reaching their destination? People
have traversed the waters throughout the ages.
Sometimes to escape, sometimes out of curiosity
and an urge to see new things, and sometimes
to hurt and exploit the strangers they encounter
on the other side. We think we know where we
are going, and that this is something we can and
should control. But there are circumstances and
powers that we cannot rule – and then, we are
like the figures drifting serenely in these boats.

The Wind is Turning Towards the East was origi-
nally created in 2013, and in light of the thousands
of refugees who arrived only a year or so later,
empty-handed and desperate after drifting
on a stormy Mediterranean without finding a
welcoming port, this work is chillingly prophetic.
It also suggests a more symbolic picture of our
ignorance of our own destiny. Perhaps this is
most aptly put by the poet Harry Martinson in his
masterpiece Aniara from 1956:
“O, would that we could turn back to our base
now that we realise what our space-ship is:
a little bubble in the glass of Godhead.”

Heli Ryhänen (b. 1971) lives and works in Tampere,
Finland. She studied at the Academy of Fine Arts,
Helsinki and the Kankaanpää School of Art in Fin-
land.


13 comments:

  1. That's a really pretty scene. The water looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, it was one of those (rare) days with the river still as a mirror.

      Delete
  2. I love the meanings of these! They are sure unusual. And your wide shots of the water with the lily pads are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one to find the figures in the boats slightly eerie? Maybe it's their crumpled look, but before I read the interpretation, I was strongly reminded of lost soals travelling on the Styx... Even the ones that are in pairs don't look at each other.
    Anyway, the entire river scene is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I agree. They definitely have something "otherwordly" about them, one way or the other - however we choose to interpret it...

      Delete
  4. No Meike, I find the figures eerie too, and slightly at odds with the beautiful tranquil setting. My first thought was that they resemble our interpretations of alien beings, with their strange-shaped heads. The head of the figure at the front of the boat in the second photo looks only vaguely human.
    It would be interesting to know what other local people think of the sculptures. I also wonder how far they will drift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, as they're made to float on the water, I guess were're not really meant to get up close to them, and we're left to our own associations when it comes to interpreting what we're looking at. History, mythology, our own time, science fiction - I'd not be surprised if the artist had all of them in mind at the same time.

      Delete
    2. I enlarged the photos which gave more detail.

      Delete
    3. Yes, so of course did I, once I got home and transferred the photos from my phone to the computer...

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Carol. Good to know it's not just me :-)

      Delete
  5. these are truly beautiful and I love the words that go with them.. the quote is so true for me, I have often felt the desire to turn my boat back to the base, even though I know it can't happen. I like to imagine what life would have been if while riding the winds I had the knowledge I have now to make those decisions that were wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I often think that when looking back at choices made in life it's really impossible to be sure what would have happened if one had chosen differently.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...