Wednesday 26 June 2024

Optical Illusions

 (Continued from previous two posts.)

Further on along the river, I found this art installation. I was thinking that it was probably a perfect day to view it - the sky so blue, and the water still like a mirror... But on the other hand, I should probably go back in some other kind of weather as well, to see what it looks like then!

Text from the online brochure:

Disrupting Ebb and Flow, 2023
by Elin Stampe (b.1992), Stockholm

A silvery veil spreads reflected
light above the Viskan river and the
Posttorget plaza. Optical illusions
appear on the water, like a flickering
archway that changes with the wind
and movement.

On approaching, you will discover that the
glittering consists of squares of mirror foil on
wires, forming triangles. The history of Viskan is
intimately entwined with Borås; it still character-
ises the city and brings its inhabitants close to
the entire aquatic habitat. To this day, fragments
from the textile mills are found in its vicinity.  

The artist, Elin Stampe, has obvious roots in the realm
of textiles, with its associations to protection,
flexibility and its potential to both enfold and
build volumes. With her monumental installation
Disrupting Ebb and Flow, Stampe connects with
the history of places in a tangible and tender
way. The title also reminds us of another force
– the gravitational pull generated in the mutual
relationship between Earth and the moon. The
eye is bewildered by the flashes of light. 

A version of the work was shown in
a completely different setting in the summer of
2023: Sergels torg plaza in central Stockholm. 

The brochure also mentions the installation being accompanied by "a suggestive sound loop" - but I did not hear that, so the sound must have been off when I was there.

In the background in the photo above is a church tower, which also seems to have some work of art on it. So I went to have a closer look at that, too.

 

 Fiete Stolte (b. 1979) lives and works in Berlin, Germany.

Outdoors, works from Stolte’s
photographic series Roots
(2019) are exhibited, which,
at first glance, look like tree
roots. In reality, what we see is
the branches of a leafless tree
top.
The title, Roots, leads us to
believe that it is the earthy part
of the tree we are looking at, but when we realise
what it is, we become aware of the tree’s biolog-
ical symmetry. The images are also inverted, like
photo negatives,
the historical analogue forerun-
ner of today’s digital photography.

I have so far only seen this one, but perhaps there are more to be found around town.

10 comments:

  1. This installation is simply gorgeous! And the way it reflects on the water is totally magical. It looks like waves full of diamonds. What a perfect day for this perfect reflection! I also really love the inverted tree branches. Of course I thought it was roots at first, a very clever art trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, when I was looking at that image on the church tower I had not yet read anything about it, and I though "roots" too.

      Delete
  2. The river is absolutely mirror like and reflects the art perfectly. The art looks like graceful spiderwebs with dew on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may well be something to that interpretation, Terra.

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant idea these art installations are! The one above the river is beautiful and reminds me of gossamer wings. I do hope you can find more - they are thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'm hoping to find a proper brochure some day so that I can check what I've seen vs missed so far. (The online version is in a format hard for me to read and I feel I get no overview...)

      Delete
  4. They are both works of art that I understand and really like; they "speak" to me (even without a "suggestive sound loop" :-D).
    Thank you for sharing them, and for the information!
    You are right; it will be interesting to look at the "veil" of mirrors again in different lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, so far I've been seeking out the art rather randomly myself and haven't read the interpretations beforehand, only tried to look them up afterwards.

      Delete
  5. that shimmering silver over the water is amazing and yes, I would like to see it on other days with different light. wow on the photo. it is Gorgeous. I actively do not like the art of the church. I see others think its beautiful. always the eye of the beholder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I'm not sure I'd use the word "beautiful" about that one myself - but interesting, and with the explanation even more thought-provoking (roots vs branches, and positive vs negative etc).

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...