Saturday 22 June 2024

Midsummer Eve, part 2

 Continued from yesterday's post.

Walking home from the Museum Park, I chose a different (and more roundabout) way than I came. First (instead of going down the very steep footpath) I chose to walk along a nearby side street back down to the lake. Along one side of it, opposite the park, there are some rather "posh" villas.

I couldn't help noticing that on this one they had put up privacy screens just like the one I just bought, on the inside of their see-through railings along the terrace to the right... ;-)
 


Back down on flat ground near the lake.


 Zooming in the little islands belonging to the (former) bird sanctuary in the lake. I don't think they keep many rare birds there any more - now it seems to be mostly the usual wild ones that come and go as they please.



Looking back across the lake to where I came from. The museum park is on top of the hill to the right (hidden from view from below).

Having passed the lake, I had to walk for a while on a walking+cycling path along a big  road and a major bridge crossing the railway near the station. (No photos - too busy keeping an eye on traffic and traffic lights etc!) Over on the other side, I made a little detour to the kiosk at the travel center for the buses to buy myself an ice cream; and sat down on a park bench for a while to rest while I ate that. Nearby, I noticed a new "sculpture" thing - a big golden wreath. It may not be a permanent installation, but just on loan for this summer's art festival. I have not yet found any details about it.


 Anyway I went up behind it and took this photo (looking south). The white whirlwind sculpture in the background has been there for a few years now, I think. Behind that is the travel center for buses. (The railway station is out of sight to the right.) The building across the road to the left is a school (secondary/high). My way home from here goes past that school, turning left at the corner, then across and along another street/road or two. 


Once I get to the old cemetery I feel I'm "almost home". I usually choose to walk along the inside of that wall in the shadow of the old trees for the part of the way that I can.


13 comments:

  1. I think I like this walk a little better than the other walk, but both sure are interesting walks. nothing boring on either way you go. I remember the whirl wind and I like it better than this Gold circle. it was a gorgeous day for walking.. that big house with all the glass, really needed the screen because most of the house is glass. They look beautiful but I am to private to want a house that people can see in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I took no photos of the boring parts of the way back (along busy roads). As for that house with the glass balconies, it's not to my taste either, it just "stands out" as being rather different in style to most other old houses in that neighbourhood.

      Delete
  2. You do live in a pretty town. It helps with that lovely sunshine and blue, blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, sunshine, blue sky and lots of summer greenery certainly helps to capture the surroundings at their best.

      Delete
  3. The wreath resembles a huge crown of thorns to me! Your lake photos are gorgeous! Gosh, what a house the first one is! Do you know if it is a rental or someone owns and lives there? I have never seen so many porches on a house! I love it. Those little huts for the birds are adorable. Seems like some kind of critter would make it's home there. In your first photo, do you know what those really tall plants are that are scattered about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm afraid I don't know the name of those plants. There used to be some imported rare birds in the bird sanctuary, but the last of those were moved some years ago in connection with some work including pipelines through the lake. As for the house with the glass balconies I assume it's privately owned.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful way to walk home! Much prettier than your route there, but well worth the extra time in such glorious surroundings. The lake must look so inviting on a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, the views along the lake are lovely but the rest of the way back home is actually rather boring, so the only thing that tempted my camera then was really that new sculpture...

      Delete
  5. Certainly a posh area near the lake. It seems a little absurd that people have see-through railings on their balconies, only to cover them with screens. If they wanted nobody to see them while on one of their balconies, they should have gone for different railings… you, at your rented flat, have no choice, but these folks certainly do.
    Anyway, it was a good longish walk in (mostly) nice surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike - Second thoughts, or even new owners perhaps? Who knows! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Monica, I do so admire your constancy with blogging and beautiful photography. I think you deserve an honour from your town for the way you showcase its variety and beauty. Love those lake photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline and Graham! :) I in turn am thankful for still having Blogland as a place to share both thoughts and photos.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...