Wednesday 12 June 2024

Wallflowers

 Definitions of Wallflower:
"a person who sits by the wall at a dance because no one has asked them to dance"
"a shy person, especially female, who ...  does not attract much attention".

On top of a stone wall along the old cemetery, these tiny yellow flowers are now in bloom. I did not know their name, but put my photo into Google Image Search, and found that their Latin name is Phedimus hybridus or Sedum sibericum (English: Siberian Stonecrop;  Swedish: Sibiriskt fetblad.)

A bit further on, a taller and older part of the wall is totally covered by these big old Hydrangeas - or Hortensias - which really don't fit the symbolic definitions of wallflower, as they are rather majestic... They are still flowers growing on a wall, though! ;-)



14 comments:

  1. You found such pretty wallflowers, the hydrangeas are majestic. Old shrubs on old stone walls, so companionable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, in winter you see all the bare branches of the hydrangeas and they are rather impressive in their own right as well

      Delete
  2. Stunningly beautiful. Not your average wallflower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, and kind of an old fashioned beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They are very impressive, and not least this time of year, Carol.

      Delete
  5. these may be wallflowers, but they certainly do not fit the definition of wall flowers. all of them are gorgeous... I would love that wall in my yard. of course it needs to come with a gardener these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, the yellow ones are very small and I bet most people who just pass by don't really pay them much attention... Which is what made me think of "wallflower". I took my photo up close to show how lovely they really are.

      Delete
  6. I often walk in areas with vineyards and orchards, where (old) stone walls are common and wallflowers abound. They are beautiful, and very important for insects and other small animals. Hortensias as wallflowers are certainly less common, but they fit the park-like old cemetery very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, as I rarely get out into the countryside now, the ones I see the most are those along the old cemeteries. (There are two of those between where I live and the city centre, though.)

      Delete
  7. Both flowers are really pretty. I've seen the bottom Hydrangeas before but my favourite is the blue and purple variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm not sure if I've seen the blue/purple ones, I don't think there are any in my immediate neighborhood anyway

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...