Thursday 10 May 2012

BTT: Turning Myself Inside Out

This week’s question from Booking Through Thursday:

In or Out:
Do you consider yourself an extrovert or an introvert?

Well, that’s a bit unexpected for a BTT question, isn’t it?
Actually I think there are both sides to me; and I feel that my position on the scale has shifted a bit back and forth over the years depending on circumstances.

I was never a huge fan of yes/no tests, because more often than not I feel that my real answer would be somewhere in the middle. But I went in search of some online personality tests for this question.

Funtestiq said I’m “balanced”. I took the test twice. The first time it said I was more extrovert than introvert. The second time it had me exactly on the balancing point. I have no idea what question(s) I answered differently the second time.

The Introvert-Extrovert test at Nerdtests gave the result “balanced” as well. I took that test twice too (with about half an hour in between) First time I was slightly more introvert, the second time more extrovert. Although that tests consists of only ten yes/no questions, I don’t know which one I answered differently the second time there either!

BBC’s personality test says I’m a Mastermind. However, since my extraordinary talents as a visionary and leader within the fields of science and technology were never rightly appreciated (not even by myself!), it seems I’m at risk to just overindulge in eating, shopping and watching television instead. (It should however also be pointed out that Masterminds often have an “unusual sense of humour, which arises from the ability to spot surprising links between seemingly unconnected facts”.)

According to a Jung Typololgy test I’m INFJ, i.e. Introverted-Intuitive-Feeling-Judging. “INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents.” Some famous INFJs were Mother Theresa, Shirley Temple and Nicole Kidman, to stick with female examples.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997)     

Nicole Kidman

How about that for me in a nutshell? Now, if you’ll excuse me, I think I need some tea and biscuits and a good TV show. Rain is hammering on my windows and I intend to be an introvert for the rest of the evening!

12 comments:

  1. well i would like to look like Nicole and act like Mother Theresa. without taking a test, i can say i am most of the time extrovert but once in a while introvert. as a teen i was 100 percent introvert, but grew out of it, most of the time. i love being alone, but also love conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post - a bit intimidated but I'm going to try the tests...well done!

    My BTT

    @TCAbn The Motley Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, the Funtestiq said I'm extroverted but some of the questions didn't make sense. What does saving vs. spending money have to do with anything? Anyway, I guess I do agree, but I think it's really hard to truly measure which one you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post :) Think I would fall into the extrovert area [I think] as being very open and social, but I do also love being alone and in quietness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that was an interesting way to pass some time. Interesting, too, that I too came out as an INFJ in the Jung Typololgy test. I've done that one a few times in the past and haven't changed much, thought I might now be more introverted. I think the first test was the most accurate and thought the Nerd Test one was way off - I am definitely not 96% extroverted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came out as a nurturer in the BBC one -
    Care for the important people in their lives
    Strive for harmony and avoid confrontation
    Think of themselves as gentle, conscientious and mature
    May have trouble making decisions that could hurt others
    Sounds about right to me!

    And defintely an introvert until pushed or the situation needs an extrovert and then I'll fill in the gap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There used to be a time when I constantly took such tests, just for fun. It is very obvious even just from reading my blog that I am very much on the extrovert side, as anyone who knows me in real life will confirm - no tests necessary for that!
    And being extrovert does not at all mean one does not need time on their own, which I find I need more frequently as I am getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. I didn't think quite that hard to decide which I was. However, I think we all have some of both in our personalities. But, all in all I still think I am an introvert. I really like my quiet time.

    Thanks for visiting me yesterday, I am having computer troubles, so I am trying to catch up today, before Mac gets mad and shuts down on me again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to be so introverted that I suffered horribly...I had something called Social Anxiety Disorder. But for some reason (hormones maybe) I changed completely in middle age. It left and I am now extroverted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    According to BBC’s personality test I am a Nurturer. Guess being a lecturer at a university is a good job for me as I am tending to young minds.

    According to the Jung Typololgy test my Type is
    INTJ, Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging. Hmmm...

    Thanks for the links to all the tests! I liked taking them. Wonder what 'that' says about me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A but which is the real person in any one of us. I just did Funtestiq (I'll do the others later) and it said that I tend to being an extrovert. I'd probably agree with that as a generalisation although a lot of the time I am certainly not extrovert at all. Or am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on how much time you spend with friends and travelling, and keeping on making new friends ;) ... I'd expect you to come out as extrovert in these kinds of tests, yes! That doesn't mean one can't have some need of the opposite as well in between...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...