Wednesday 9 May 2012

Q for Qualified

http://youtu.be/SrMioT5MUqY

Paul Simon: Question for the Angels
(from the album
So Beautiful Or So What)

NEWS (8 May, 2012)

Paul Simon has just been awarded as one of two laureates for The Polar Music Prize 2012; together with the cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

Paul Simon citation:

Nobody else is more deserving of the epithet of “world-class songwriter.” For five decades, Paul Simon has built bridges not only over troubled waters but over entire oceans by (re)joining the world’s continents with his music. With consummate skill, innovative arrangements and provocative lyrics that never fail to capture the currents of his age, Paul Simon has compiled a library of songs which will remain open to future generations.

The Laureates will receive the prize from His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden at a gala ceremony at the Stockholm Concert Hall to be followed by a celebratory banquet at Grand Hôtel on Tuesday 28th of August. Each recipient receives a total amount of one million SEK.

The Polar Music Prize was founded in 1989 by the late Stig ”Stikkan” Anderson, a true legend in the history of Swedish popular music. Stig Anderson was the publisher, lyricist and manager of ABBA, and he played a key role in their enormous success. The name of the prize stems from Anderson’s legendary record label, Polar Music.

The Polar Music Prize awards two laureates in order to celebrate music in all its various forms and to emphasize the original intention of the Polar Music Prize: To break down musical boundaries by bringing together people from all the different worlds of music.

This is one award that I am not going to question!
Paul Simon has been my No 1 favourite singer-songwriter ever since my teens, and I can think of no one more qualified for this prize! ;)

ABC Wednesday – Q

9 comments:

  1. this song is beautiful, have not heard it before. good thing they are giving him the award, he deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this award, it is very prestigious!! How much money is this in American? How new is this album and is it good? I do not have any of his newer stuff, only the older. But I love this song. I went to your link and read the words...love the last part about the zebra, I'm going to use that in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.000.000 SEK equals about 139.500 USD. I don't know how prestigious the prize is internationally but it's been given to artists like Paul McCartney, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Miriam Makeba, Burt Bacharach, Ray Charles... The album So Beautiful and So What is from 2010 and I think it's excellent.

      Delete
  3. I've always liked his music and have a few of his CDs.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that album, my favorite of last year.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved his music too. My favourite Paul Simon song is "Sounds of Silence". In 2009 I attended the Simon and Garfunkel concert in Auckland, New Zealand. It was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    my Q is for ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite singer also. I really like this new CD. So sad that he has top grow old, but so glad we still have video clips from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - the Polar Prize this year has gone to two wonderful musicians!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although being from a generation who knew Paul Simon's work it is through you that I have been re-acquainted with him in recent years.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...