Monday 5 May 2014

Construction (FMTSO)

I thought I’d put in a post for last week’s Friday My Town theme, even if it’s too late to link up at the site. (But if you’d like to see some more photos from around the world on the same theme, go have a look!)

I took this photo yesterday (Sunday) on walking home from town (coming back from spending the afternoon out at The House in the countryside). The high rise building is just recently finished; what I had not seen before (not having walked this way for a while) is that they’ve now also got started with the next new building in the same block. I know it’s going to be a bit lower, more like the buildings you see in the background in the second photo.

CIMG9339-001

Below is how the building site looked about 14 months ago (looking from the opposite direction). They were just getting started on the “tower” then.

CIMG3436

They’ve been building several more apartment blocks in this area over the last couple of years. I’m glad I did not move to one of the older houses closer to these building sites. As it is, I do see the top five or six floors of the highrise from my window (rising above the treetops); but I’m too far away from it all to be disturbed by all the construction noise.

I know I have several more photos of the tower rising over the past year… But finding them is another matter.

14 comments:

  1. Your town must be thriving to need all these new homes. Good for local businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Louise, the town is growing; and there is need of more apartments, especially leasehold. The buildings you see in these two photos are condominiums, though. I'm not sure who can afford them! but I suppose many are bought by people who sold a house. The policy just now is to increase the number of apartments close to the city core. So we're likely to see more new highrise buildings changing the skyline in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you are not close by, but I guess they call it progress! the two comparison shots are great. seems to be taking quite a while to get done. thanks for your recent visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is progress, Doreen. Where these new houses are being built there used to be old factories before; and not of the kind really worth preserving. I'm not sure about the highrise building (I think they should have kept it a bit lower - so that I didn't have to see it from home!) but otherwise I'm not against the idea of new apartment houses in that area. It's just a bit of a nuisance while the construction is going on - so I'm glad I don't live quite "next door".

      Delete
  4. Looks like it will be a nice building once they're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These buildings are just by the river, and only five minutes walk from the town centre, so it's a good location. And I suppose a great view from the top floor of the tower...

      Delete
  5. progress, how i hate it... good thing you are far away from the noise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm less than 1 km away from it, but it makes a difference! :)

      Delete
  6. Good pictures from beginning to almost end. What do you think about these tall buildings encroaching on your peaceful and beautiful town? I don't really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Love your new background. Hey, are you going to start up your other blog, or are you thinking of dropping it? I am seeing bear paws in my sleep!!! (And I mean that in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm considering letting the Picture Book blog (and bear) sleep on for a while, because I have too much going on at the moment, with preparations for selling The House etc. When I do wake it up again, I'll make note of it here on this blog as well.

      Delete
  8. I really like the second shot, it's not easy to get an interesting shot of a crane! I'm glad for your sake that the new development is not too close to your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been keen on multi-storey apartments but the fact that they have balconies does, I suppose, make them a little more liveable in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes a difference. I lived one year in a small student's bedsitter (19 m2), several floors up and with only one window and no balcony. I did feel rather "shut in" (even if I did not spend all that much time at home!) Since then, all my (three) apartments have had a balcony, at least two rooms (three now), and windows on more than one side of the building.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...