Saturday 29 July 2023

The Two Towers

 ... or, Keeping Things in Perspective ...


Walking back home from the city centre one day this week, I focused on these two tower blocks on the horison, and how my perspective of them keeps changing as I got closer.



 
This view is from the parking lot to the right of the roundabout in the previous photo. (From there I then turned right and followed a footpath along the river.)

The yellow brick bulding with the sign "Spinneriet" is an old spinning mill. No longer a factory but housing a number of different businesses - including a spinning gym...
 


Still that old spinning mill to the left in this picture - surrounded by modern apartment blocks. You can now see that the two tower blocks are not really as close together as it may seem from afar.

 

 “In one thing you have not changed, dear friend," said Aragorn: "you still speak in riddles."
"What? In riddles?" said Gandalf. "No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.”
J.R.R. Tolkien,
The Two Towers 

 

12 comments:

  1. So by a spinning gym, do you mean exercise bikes? Gosh, two different kinds of spinning! And it looks like the word is almost the same in both languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, yes, I mean exercise bikes. I've never seen the gym from the inside though - I much prefer outdoors walking...

      Delete
  2. when we first started they looked like two tall skinny buildings right next to each other. what and amazing change at the end. great idea to track them. you have been getting a lot of walks in around your beautiful town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I do try to get out for a bit every day. Usually just the same old streets and paths, but there are a few alternative routes I can take for variation.

      Delete
  3. I like to look at buildings from a different perspective as I walk, too. You may recall the concrete „rocket“ in some of my pictures; it often amazes me where it is visible and how big or small it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I imagine you have plenty of opportunity for that on your long walks!

      Delete
  4. Amazing how distance can alter our perception. The two buildings do look very close to one another in your first photo. I do enjoy joining you on your walks and looking at your photos.
    My daily walks, with my new dog, are limited at the moment to an unexciting early morning stroll around the block, as she gets to know her new neighbourhood. If we're not out by around 8 a.m., it's too hot and uncomfortable on the last part of the walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'm very rarely out and about that early nowadays (not even the very hot month of June here this summer changed that much for me...)

      Delete
  5. One of the more peculiar things I ever did was try to go for a walk in Monument Valley, AZ. I don't know what it is about the place that made me feel that all those rocks weren't much smaller than they were. But somehow I couldn't shake that impression. In fact, they are huge and so the result was that I would walk for ten or fifteen minutes with almost no change in how they related to each other. They just seemed immobile no matter how far I walked. It was like walking on one of those treadmills in a gym! (By the way you mention a spinning gym. What is that? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here, Jenny. I've not been travelling anywhere at all this summer so I just have to "work with" the limited horizons I have nearby... ;) As for "spinning" that refers to "studio cycling classes on a certain type of stationary exercise bike. --- You will find high-energy music blasting throughout many Spin classes, and an extroverted instructor who helps push you to your limit." (Definition found online, and I should add that I've never tried it myself - only heard about it from others.)

      Delete
  6. It's good that the spinning building is still being used, was it from the Victorian era?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I had to check, but it was built in 1898. Here in Sweden, that was during the reign of king Oscar II, though!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...