Thursday 4 July 2024

Blue and Yellow

 

Yesterday, after a rainy day when I also had the laundry room booked for the afternon, I did not get out until rather late (or early evening). But on my walk around the old cemetery I had another of those "magic light" moments (cf previous post), as the sun fell on this plant with the huge leaves and the tall blue flowers - whose name I could not remember, so I had to look it up again now. (Google Image Search makes that a rather easy job nowadays, though...) Hosta, or plantain lily in English. In Swedish funkia.

They grow of many of the old graves in this cemetery, and sometimes in combination with these yellow ones below (which I had to look up as well). Lysimachia punctata, or yellow loosestrife in English, praktlysing in Swedish.

The leaves of the hostas are also beautiful in/after rain, as they tend to collect and show off the raindrops... The photo below is from back in May, before the plants were in bloom.


* * *

 

The national flag of Sweden consists of
a yellow or gold 'Nordic cross'.
Blue and yellow have been used as
Swedish colours at least since 1275.
[Wikipedia]


6 comments:

  1. I am so happy you go out in the evening. the light is totally different then than any other time of day.. I am an early bird so never get even light shots.. so beautiful. the leaves hold droplets like my elephant ears did. they died, but now with 2 weeks of rain there are several about 4 inches high, or were before bob mowed them down. I made him AWARE to stop cutting them down, now they are about 3 inches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, when I go out varies both with the season and the weather. Just now it's mostly about trying to sneak out for a little while now and then between showers... But the summer evenings are long and it does not get dark until very late, so this time of year I usually manage to get out at least for a little while.

      Delete
  2. The yellow flowers are gorgeous, and I have never seen any around here. Although I have heard the name. There are lots of Hostas everywhere here. I don't really like them. I think they are mainly grown for their beautiful leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I assume they're probably a good plant if you want something that does not need all that much looking after.

      Delete
  3. Evening light can be truly magic, and you chose the right time for your walk.
    Hostas are beautiful, and they look very good in combination with the yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, they seem to be a common combination in this old graveyard, probably well suited for the conditions there.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...