Sunday 7 July 2024

Unter den Linden (3)

 

There are quite a lot of big old Linden trees in my neighbourhood. (Tilia cordata, also called Lime tree in English). The name of the famous street in Berlin (Unter den Linden - German for "under the linden trees") often comes to mind for me as I walk under them, especially this time of year, when they're in bloom (so that I'm reminded of what kind of trees they are). The photo above is from one of the trees in the cemetery a few days ago. 

Last year I had two posts about them (using the same title), also in early July: one from the cemetery, and the second from another park nearby.

A third place nearby where lindens grow is along a street where my nearest letterbox is to be found (next to one of the small local shops). On my way back from posting a letter there today, I noticed that the flowering season for the lindens now seems to be over for this summer... All the yellow stuff on the ground in the photo below must have been blown and washed off those trees during this very windy and rainy weekend!


 

9 comments:

  1. our flowering trees do this also. the beautiful reds and purples cover the ground after the bloom. I like it on the ground under the tree, but this looks like it was blown there. i like the name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes, it looks like the wind has been "sweeping" the ground here... Leaving almost nothing under the trees themselves!

      Delete
  2. Lovely trees in your last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duta, they're rather impressive when one stops to think about it. My guess is they were planted in the 1940s as that's when the houses here were built.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely row of them! I don't know if we have any here, I don't remember ever seeing any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the scent of Linden trees in bloom! We've got some here, although the prevailing "city tree" in Ludwigsburg is traditionally horse chestnut. Now they have shed all their yellow stuff and with it, the beautiful scent has gone, but has been replaced by roses and lavender in people's front gardens, or cut grass (which I love to smell, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I'm allergic to grass and react to various other pollen and scents as well, so in that respect I quite appreciate when the summer is not too hot and dry...

      Delete
  5. I remember walking down the avenue of Linden Trees in East Berlin before The Wall came down. One of the first things I did after The Wall came down was walk there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I've never actually been to Berlin, neither before nor after the Wall. The name of that street has stuck in my mind anyway...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...