Thursday 25 July 2024

Visiting the Textile Museum

On Tuesday the weather here turned out better than expected, and after lunch at home I decided to venture out on a walk stretching a bit further than my immediate neighbourhood. I was not quite sure of my goal until I was half way there... But I ended up visiting the Textile Museum to have a look at their current exhibitions. 


This installation meets you at the entance just now and I think it is part of a new permanent exhibition called Reboot Fashion, which "explores the path towards a circular textile future through innovative production methods, while also inviting individuals to engage and influence change". The sign below was on display nearby:



This huge textile sculpture by artist Diana Orving, which stretches over two floors in the museum, is entitled What could be touched and that beyond (2023). It fits in with the theme above but is also part of this summers Art Biennial.

"In this particular case, her choice of textile is one that hardly ever is associated with the glamour of the fashion world: jute. The material is brown and has coarse structure; it is cheap and durable and has been used for centuries to package all kinds of things that are necessary to life, such as grain, turnips and beans. The woven, thich fabric is used and reused and might travel around the world several times. [---] Orving reminds us of the global nature of the textile industry..."

A temporary exhibition upstairs is entitled Printed Positions.  

"Since the turn of the millennium, pattern design has undergone a technical and aesthetic revolution, to a great extent spurred on by the development of digital technology. In Printed Positions, contemporary textile-pattern design is explored through works by 14 Nordic designers and artists."


This installation in the middle of the huge exhibition hall gives the impression of a ship, and there were also other textiles in the background to underline the marine theme.



As for the rest, I soon gave up on trying to "interpret"...!





In the smaller room on the same floor was an exhibition showing works by this year's graduates from the Swedish School of Textiles at the local University.




This is the building from outside.


I bought an ice cream at the cafĂ© before I started on my walk back. (This is their outdoors terrace by the main entrance, but I ate my ice cream sitting in a comfortable high back armchair indoors...) 
 


Jaume Plensa's sculpture House of Knowledge has been sitting outside our Textile Fashion Center for 10 years now. I blogged about the installation of it back in May 2014. And there have been more photos of it now and then over the years since then as well... I can hardly ever resist snapping one whenever I pass it, even though I know I have plenty before! (In this one, you can see a couple of people sitting inside it, there is a bench there.)

On the other side of the road, there is this mural on the wall of the University to look at.

 

I also have some photos from an older permanent exhibition of machinery etc + some more photos from my walk there and back, but will save those for other posts.

10 comments:

  1. The textile museum is a fascinating place where one could easily pass a rainy (or too hot) day.
    I know exactly what you mean about not being able to resist snappong another picture of the knowledge sculpture! There must be dozens of pictures from Ludwigsburg‘s palace grounds, or from Fountains Abbey, on my blog, and I keep adding to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, for me just now it needs to be a day that is neither rainy nor too hot... ;)(About ½ h walk in each direction + one is on one's feet most of the time while one is there as well...) I know what you mean though, it is of course a great place to visit when it's raining or when you want to get out of the sun as well!

      Delete
  2. You've ranged all over some of my favorite arts...first such lovely textiles in the museum...then a sculpture that is so intriguing, and you finished with a very beautiful mural. Thank you so much for sharing things I would not have been able to see otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the virtual visit, Barbara! :)

      Delete
  3. The textile museum looks fantastic. Love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting to see your photos of the latest exhibitions at the Textile Museum. How textiles and the use of colour have changed over the years - "anything" goes these days.
    They are of special interest to me because I studied fashion and textile as part of my design course - many years ago! Our designs were not as "way out" as those today - students are now encouraged to be as outrageous as possible.
    The House of Knowledge is a fascinating sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I don't think I knew you had a background in design? Glad you enjoyed the post! I do agree that a lot of what is on display in modern exhibitions these days tends to be rather "way out"... :) (This museum offers a mix of history and contemporary/future really.)

      Delete
  5. every time you visit the textile Museum I love it more and more. today, every thing you showed us is magnificent and all different all beautiful to my eyes. I can't even decide which one I like best. never thought of Jute as fabric, but see it is.. even the wall at the beginning is amazing, a mural of material. the whole post gets a big WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Sandra. They do offer quite a lot of "food for thought" in the exhibition to do with recycling.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...