Saturday 13 July 2024

Watching Things Grow

 

Friday was a nice summery day (no rain, and not too hot either), and in the afternoon I went to check on a park down by the river where I know they're making some changes. So far it seems they've pretty much just planted a couple of new young trees + are changing the route of the paths to create a larger "free" lawn in the middle. If for any special purpose, I'm not sure... Maybe it will become clearer with time!

No new flowerbeds so far, but there are some wildflowers here and there on the slopes. (I know since a number of years back now they are letting "weeds" grow on purpose in certain areas around town - instead of cutting the grass - for the sake of bees and other insects.)


At home I was able to sit for a while on my balcony, under my parasols, and facing my "green corner". I'm quite pleased so far with that 'screen' (with the false leaves) that I bought.

 

Watching my cherry tomatoes grow...

And wondering why these two coleus plants (both of the same origin) have made different choices when it comes to small vs big leaves...

11 comments:

  1. Your screen looks so good. I have never seen anything like it! I am so glad what they are doing to help the bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, that screen does give the balcony a somewhat "cosier" feel.

      Delete
  2. The screen looks really nice and not at all as „plasticky“ as I feared. Funny how the same plants develop so differently - a bit like siblings growing up with the same parents.
    It is good to see how people are becoming more sensible and let things such as wild flowers and weeds grow, they are so important for pollinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. The screen actually looks better together with some real plants than it did just on its own :) (And my plan is to take it down before winter...)

      Delete
  3. great idea on the wild flowers. hummmm on the large green space. waiting to see what is coming next. I am thinking the leave sizes have something to do with humans messing around with plants... genetics of plants I mean.. they are both pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think it will probably be a long wait to see what happens with that park. The work there does not seem to be very high on the priority list at the moment.

      Delete
    2. As for the plants on my balcony, my own "messing about" with them may have something to do with it as well - like pruning them a bit differently. Not quite sure what's cause vs result in that process, though!!

      Delete
  4. Your tomatoes are looking good so far. Your trellis is the sort of thing we are planning to put up on the end of our deck for privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, yes, that's why I got mine - not having to stare the neighbours "in the eye" when we both happen to be out on our balconies at the same time.

      Delete
  5. The two Coleuses is rather strange. I have several of each of about six varieties and I've seen no variations in leaf size like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That interesting, Graham. I know I removed some big (withering) leaves from the one to the left - and then found it had developed lots of little ones underneath...

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...