Saturday 5 October 2024

Autumn Jobs

 


After a short walk yesterday, I spent part of the afternoon getting started on the "autumn cleaning" of my balcony by cutting down my tomato plants, and taking in the geraniums, as there is a rather high risk of frosty nights now. Only having a few ourdoors plants to look after, I always find myself wondering how people (my age and older) manage who have a whole garden full... 

One problem when one lives in a 2nd floor flat with a balcony is that one has very limited workspace for "gardening", though. For one thing, one has to try to keep things tidy even while one is at it, so that no dirt falls down to the neighbours below. And collect all leftovers of dead leaves and potting soil etc neatly in small plastic bags to fit in the dustbin. And avoid dropping dirt all over the living room floor while carrying things through to the kitchen to be washed, etc.

I also had to get rid of some tired plants on my indoors window sills, and rearrange the rest a bit, in order to make room for the geraniums - still in bloom.  


Two of the geranium pots now sit on the window sill in my study, next to some coleus cuttings. (The plant in the background spent the summer indoors - the difference in colour is from the difference in how much light they've been getting. They all originate from the same plant to start with!)


One now resides in the kitchen window together with my African violets.


The remaining two sit on the window sill in the living room, next to the balcony door.

I still have more autumn jobs to do on the balcony before winter sets in, but getting the geraniums in was the most urgent.


3 comments:

  1. A cheerful display of colour to brighten the darker days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the copper kettle. I am a collector of lots of eclectic stuff. The Geraniums are easy to make cuttings of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do have a green thumb!!! They are just gorgeous, and so healthy looking! The cuttings from the Coleus, will you be putting them all together in one big pot? I have three and will likely be doing some cuttings myself.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...