Friday 4 October 2024

October

There is no doubt about it now: Even with the sun shining in the daytime and green still the dominant colour in most trees, autumn/fall is rapidly taking over now. We have already had one or two frosty nights recently - one of which "took" my two coleus plants on the balcony that had been growing very tall over summer. (I had already taken top cuttings from those for propagation indoors, though.) The pelargoniums (geraniums) are still ok (more protected, on a bench under the window) but it's probably time to start taking those in over night now. The leaves of the tomato plants against the trellis drooping... I'll probably be getting rid of those this weekend, as next week is supposed to be rainy again and the few tiny fruits left probably won't get any proper chance of ripening outdoors anyway.

Yesterday on my walk into town I took these photos of trees and bushes that have already changed into autumn colours: 


Maple tree

Not sure what kind of tree this is.

I looked into one of the very beige clothes shops (referring to nearly all window displays just now featuring mostly white, beige and black - as I've written about before). And actually came out of there with a rather colourless item myself - as I happened to find an item from the spring collection rather than the autumn collection that was both something I had been looking for, and as much as 70% off the original price. A thin and light padded jacket (to replace a similar old one that I recently gave away to charity as it was a little bit too tight for comfort). Not warm enough for our winters, but more of an "between seasons" item - for fine spring or autumn days, or even chilly summer.



2 comments:

  1. Autumn is such a lovely season when the sun is shining. It is very windy and chilly here though today, which rather takes the edge off it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will look for some leaves for leaf mould. Great Autumn pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...