Saturday 26 October 2024

Late October

 

These are two different huge old horse chestnut trees, growing a hundred meters or so apart in the cemetery. As they are the same kind of tree, I can't help but wonder why one is still holding on to most of its leaves while the other one has already dropped all but a few! (But I'm not expecting anyone to have the answer...)

I don't know what kind of tree this is.


These are larches, which are "deciduous conifers". Unlike spruces and pines that stay green all year round (and are much more common here), these loose their needles in winter.


A display of late autumn colours along the railway (photo taken from a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists over the railway that I cross almost daily). 

Tomorrow, daylight saving time ("summer time") ends here. From experience I predict that  I'll welcome getting back to "normal" in the mornings, but that it will take me a while to get used to it suddenly getting dark an hour earlier in the afternoon... (And as usual, I wish they'd stop the whole nonsense of changing the clock twice a year, and keep the same time all year round!)

2 comments:

  1. The tree in that first photo is lovely - amazing how it's still retained it's leaves. There is still quite a lot of colour around for late October and some of your trees still have a few leaves left.
    Agree with you - the clock changes are annoying and don't serve any useful purpose apart from robbing us of precious daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the trees, my fav is the larch. so beautiful and a little wonky looking limbs. I want the time to stop changing, but this is my favorite because it adds light to the morning. we are early birds and I will be able to walk Beau an hour earlier. ours is next weekend

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...