Sunday 11 September 2022

An Artsy Saturday Afternoon

Besides today being Election Day in Sweden, it's also been Art Gallery Weekend in Borås. Alas all the art galleries open and buses running in a loop between them doesn't mean I've got the energy to visit them all... So I settled for a walk to the Textile Museum (and back), Saturday afternoon.

 
In the entrance hall, I noticed this new 'bench', shaped like a clothes peg. Rather clever!

One of the exhibitions upstairs, about a local wallpaper company, was the same as on my last visit back in March.

 


The new exhibition is entitled 'Pattern-Mania' (Swedish: 'Mönstermani') and is about 20th century Swedish Textile Design - especially printed patterns from the 1920s onward, through the 1990s.


 I arrived in the middle of a guided tour going on, and sort of kept on the outskirts of that - hearing some of it, but at the same time moving along at my own pace... All photos taken with my mobile, as I didn't have my other camera with me.


Many of the patterns were displayed in the home environments they were designed for - like kitchen, living room, bedroom etc.






Other displays focused on special holidays or time of the year:


 



This wall of clothes reminded me of how I loved to play with paper dolls as a child :-)

Speaking of childhood - did you wonder about those coloured balls in front of the building in the first photo? I had a closer look at that installation on my way back - and found it rather 'disturbing'...

 

They're made of castaway soft toys! A sign nearby says that the thought behind it is to make us think about what becomes of the things we throw away...

" TEDDY ORBS. - Do you know where your old teddy bear is? (Most people don't, so don't be ashamed!) This work of art consists of old teddy bears that have been deconstructed and reconstructed to a collection of colourful spheres. The purpose of this work of art is to provoke the viewer to think about where their old teddy bears are, and how they get rid of them. / Felicia Hansen, Instagram: @felicia_oh."

I'd recommend parents and grandparents with young children in tow to give this outdoors installation a wide berth if they don't want to end up in trouble, though... Back in my childhood, we were patiently persuaded to let worn-out cuddly toys be respectfully sent to retirement up in the attic, with lots of assurances that they'd be much happier there!

Across the road from the Textile Fashion Center is the University. They've recently had a new mural painted to replace an old one that had to be removed in connection with necessary repairs of the wall. The old mural (also an eagle) was so popular that they hired the same artist to do the new one, though. He made the new one similar but still a bit different. For comparison, if you like, have a look at the old mural here. (Post from 2015.)

 

11 comments:

  1. I think the blue and white kitchen is the prettiest. The stuffed animal balls do send a good message and make one think. I wish I still had my old stuffed toys! I had only two. I loved paper dolls,and had so many. I remember the ones that came in folders with slits in them to store the dolls and clothes. The bench is very clever! Do you know what the deal is with the swan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I think the swan is made from pieces of wallpaper and probably also connects somehow to some pattern, or series of patterns.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love, love, love the pattern mania exhibition - so well done, I could look at each ‚room‘ for hours!
    Like you, my sister and I loved playing with paper dolls and often added our own hand-drawn clothes to their wardrobe.
    The teddy spheres are clever, but I am not sure whether they can achieve what the artist‘s intention was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, it's certainly an exhibition one could go back and see more than once - so many details to take in!

      Delete
  3. my favorite things of today are all those rooms. I just love each room and they managed to make them look cozy and warm like in a real home, not a big open museum. I too thought of my paper dolls. the new Eagle is perfect, and I prefer it over the old one. he is truly talented. beautiful post, every photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I agree that dividing the exhibition into rooms like this was a good idea for a display of lots of different textiles.

      Delete
  4. Thats my type of exhibition, I particularly liked the display of wallpaper - that's really clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I could happily go back and see it all again. (Whether I will, remains to be seen!)

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous exhibition! Something I'd really love to see - the exhibits are so beautifully presented. I'd love to see more of the Paradise Garden too - that swan is really very clever.
    I remember my paper dolls and loved to make new "clothes" for them - it must have been a hobby for those of us of a "certain" age!
    In the UK, some soft toys - particularly old Teddy bears, sell for an eye-watering amount of money these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG, I know some old teddy bears and other toys are very popular among collectors. They probably need to be of certain brands/quality (and age) and not too common, though!

      Delete
  6. I like that blue mural of the eagle and nice they got the original artist to do the new art work.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...