Monday 8 May 2023

A Donation and a Purchase

Woke up to another sunny day today; and decided I might as well get my 'Barbie project' over and done with... I.e. get the dolls off to the charity shop. So I went off on a bus ride (+walk) 'across town' again (I think for the fourth time in a couple of months!). The shop I had decided on is run by the Salvation Army. They have a chain of 2nd hand shops all over the country and a generally good reputation. I had packed the dolls in a double paper bag, with an old bath towel wrapped around them inside for extra protection; and I left it with a shop assistant at the counter, explaining its content briefly: Barbie dolls from the 1960s, individually packed, each with a set of clothes. I think I saw a certain gleam in the assistant's eye when I said "1960s"... - and I added that I'd also left a note about that inside. (In fact I had added a brief note with each doll, stating that they're from the 1960s, not played with since then, and the home-made clothes also from the 60s, but recently washed.) So that was that... Whether my dolls end up with children or collectors, I hope they'll each make someone happy - and bring in some money for the Salvation Army's social work as well. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to keep two dolls though (one Barbie and one Skipper, plus some of all the clothes my mum made). That I think will be enough to save me from any regrets about giving the rest away!

After I had made my donation, I took a turn around the shop... Have to confess I still prefer buying new clothes - but I found a handbag (with shoulder strap) that I liked: "right size", dark red, and did not look like it had been used much... So I ended up also buying that before I left! (Telling myself that another time, I'll donate some other bags that turned out less useful purchases and were never much used by myself!)


 



10 comments:

  1. I think the Barbies are worth a lot of money, and Salvation Army is such a great place to leave them. Pretty purse; I have gotten a lot of purses from Goodwill. Our Salvation Army stores seem to be closing for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I'm happy to leave the evaluation to others in this case!

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence. I also bought a dark red leather crossbody bag this past week from the local Hospice charity shop where I volunteer. A £3 bargain, doesn't look as if it has been used at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a bargain indeed, JC. I'm not up to date with the exact current exchange rate but I paid around £15 for mine and found that a fair price.

      Delete
  3. Good choice on all accounts!
    I have too many handbags I never use, most of them were gifts so I did not choose them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike I seem to be constantly hunting for Hermione's beaded bag from the last Harry Potter book (minus the beads)... (For non-HP fans, that's a tiny bag with the capacity to hold a fully equipped tent for three people + plus about half of the Hogwarts library...) Haven't found that yet but this one will do for short walks... ;)

      Delete
  4. I've never bought anything from a Charity shop, although they have been recipients of many items from me. I'm usually so glad to pass on things that I steel myself not to buy anything to take away with me. I feel it defeats the object of clearing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I only bought this bag because it actually pretty much matched what I'd been looking for elsewhere as well. I have black one that's served me well during the winter but wanted one in similar size but a different colour for summer...

      Delete
  5. I like the color of the purse, since i don't use them but rarely, I only have two purses. if i used purses i would like this one. good job pushing through and getting them out of the house. I hope they can sell them for a lot of money to help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, a bag is as essential to me as clothes when I go out even for a short walk... Never understood how guys seem to manage without them!! (Lol)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...