Monday 1 May 2023

Slow Progress

 

View from my kitchen window, Saturday

The month of May has arrived, but the progress of spring slowed down last week, and we still have rather chilly winds blowing this weekend. Yesterday was Valborgsmässoafton (Walpurgis Night) here (always 30 April), traditionally celebrated with bonfires and choirs to welcome spring - and the technical upper secondary school here arranging a sort of carnival parade through the city towards evening. With rather chilly winds blowing, I did not feel in the least tempted to be out and about at that time of day, though.

Today is 1st May = Labour Day and 'bank holiday' here, also traditionally celebrated with parades, but of more serious/political kind, and public speeches by politicians. I think there were also some activities in the park downtown for families with children. I did not feel tempted by any of that either, though. 

So I've had a mostly indoors weekend, with just some short walks in the immediate neighbourhood.

Lots of narcissi still in bloom in the old cemetery.

Today I've been emptying my old laptop of its remaining "personal" content. What I've not transferred to the new one I think I've got backed up on separate drives. (And if I've forgotten something, I suppose I shall just have to live with that!) My ambition this time is to try and get some things (photos and documents) a bit better organised... (And that goes for some physical drawers and shelves as well...) Remains to be seen how far I'll succeed!  

Next Saturday is also the one day a year here (on the housing estate where I live) that we have a chance to more conveniently get rid of certain kinds of bulky and/or hazardous waste, as they then come here with two large trucks to collect such items. (They don't drive round the whole street to collect though, we have to take the stuff to a parking lot where they will be parked for a couple of hours.) I usually try to take advantage of that possiblity to get rid of a few things one can't throw in the usual bins. 

I say "a few things" because I know that in reality it won't amount to more. But I'm kind of working with the motto "at least what gets done gets done" - or something like that... ;-)

11 comments:

  1. what gets done, is done, I like that and so true. you are doing what I am doing, and anything we release is a good thing. I love those big green watering cans in the photo. such a pretty space there. glad you are almost done with the laptop. I am dreading my phone giving up, it i getting older and older and has things that don't work properly but no more than i use it, will baby it until it dies. I fret over all these electronics we are using and they die and we toss and buy more, our earth is ot going to hold it all. 8 billion people on the earth, even if half the people toss a laptop or phone, OH MY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes, that's certainly a point worth considering. I tossed my old phone in a bin for safe recycling, i.e. they guarantee to delete personal data and to recycle all metals etc that can be reused.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely display of narcissi. Ours are all finished now so we are just left with the droopy leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC, in some respects I appreciate that things slowed down here, prolonging spring before it bursts into summer all of a sudden.

      Delete
  3. The flowers are gorgeous and sunny, and so many! We have had the exact same weather, stayed inside all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I didn't really mind as I had indoors things to do anyway :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful daffodils!
    The weekend was entirely dominated by the Maifest for us here in the village, we (literally) worked day and night. Today the big tent will be dismantled but I am not going to join the handful of strong men doing that job - I can‘t lift or carry heavy objects and would only be in the way. My part is done for another year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I'll be reading more about it on your blog, Meike! :)

      Delete
  5. Loving all the Spring daffodils. Last time I transferred photos from one drive to another I lost some, so bit gutted about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I would be too - which is why I have more than one backup of my digital photos. Or at least most of them... I think...

      Delete
  6. May 1st was a public holiday here too, and locally it was very quiet - hardly a soul about, though I didn't venture into town or the beach to see if there was anything going on. Normally it's a day to celebrate over a long lazy lunch with friends and family.
    The narcissi make for a a colourful spring show - a sure sign that the weather should soon be warming up.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...