Friday 19 May 2023

Spring Market

The annual Spring Market in my town is back to its usual crowded crazy self this year, after the restraint of the "corona years" behind us... And with sunny weather on top!






There are basically three things I often buy at the spring and autumn markets: Cheap postcards, socks and handbags... 

This time, I skipped the postcards.  I did seek out that market stall and had a look; but since the cost of stamps has kept going up a lot in the last few years, I have cut down on Postcrossing (with random strangers); and I know have more than enough cards in stock at home to meet my needs for a while. (Besides, I did not see any really interesting ones this time...)

I did stock up half a dozen pairs of socks from my favourite stall, of the kind I prefer (not too tight but still staying up). 

One or two readers may remember that just over a week ago, I bought a red handbag at a second hand shop. I was really happy with that purchase for about a week... Until one day I suddenly noticed that two items of clothing I'd been wearing that week (one denim jacket and one thinner denim shirt) each had got the same odd reddish-brown stains or 'scuff marks' on the back of one shoulder... A closer inspection of the shoulder strap of that bag confirmed my suspicions. Even though that bag looked "like new" when I bought it, the surface of the material it was made of obviously had not aged well... Ah well. I guess I'll just have to consider the money I paid for that one an extra donation to the Salvation Army. (I was able to pretty much remove the stains by scrubbing them with washing-up liquid. Hopefully a spin in the washing machine next week for both items will finish the job.)

Sooo... I ended up looking at handbags at the spring market, too. And at the second stall of bags I found another red one of similar size and that I don't think will leave any stains... However, I kind of suspect already that this one too may have a weak spot that I didn't think of immediately (a magnetic lock unnecessarily strong, so likely to cause some damage to its immediate surroundings in the long run). 

Ah well. Qué será, será... Maybe it's my Fate to eternally keep looking for The Perfect Bag...! ;-)


* Qué será, seráWhatever will be, will beThe future's not ours to seeQué será, seráWhat will be, will be


Linking to Weekend Street/Reflection #12

14 comments:

  1. The markets look nice, especially the one with the bag section. Anyway, it's always fun to walk about the stalls , looking, buying, enjoying the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duta, it's nice to see the market back - even though I've never really been all that fond of crowds, and prefer to sort of keep on the outskirts if I can...

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to shop in one of these Spring or Christmas Markets, and this is the next best things. You got lots of good photos, and I am shopping and drooling! The balloons are very cheerful. In my mind, I have just bought the pretty green purse in the middle of the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got some 'virtual' shopping out of it, Ginny! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your spring market on the sunny day looks so festive and cheerful, I would buy a few things too. I hope your new purse purchase works out perfectly for you, after the disappointing recent red purse purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, the weather certainly helps to make it look festive, and I also suspect the fact that it's been four years since we last had a "full size" market attracted even more visitors this year!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic Street Photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have really been lucky with the weather lately, and what better way than to enjoy a stroll round the market! I love your new handbag - it's such a smart design, how annoying that it may throw up problems with the lock.
    It's our market day today and soon I must go and buy a few things too. I've found that the clothes are more stylish and frequently made of natural fabrics, where nearly everything in the local shops is made of polyester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something nice at your market, Carol. I don't usually look much at clothes at our markets as I prefer to be able to try things on before I buy - but I also kind of have the reverse impression compared to you about the quality of the clothes sold in the street vs in the shops here. (Except for those socks that I tend to regularly buy at the market!)

      Delete
  6. Bright colours, blue sky, and some spring pastels thrown in - wonderful!
    The balloons are cheerful, but I guess it will not be very long until some regulation or other is going to ban them for environmental issues, same as single-use plastic cutlery, plastic drinking straws and so on.
    How disappointing about the handbag making stains on your clothes! Maybe the magnetic clasp on the new one will be OK.
    Sounds like a book title: The Quest for the Perfect Handbag - #1 in the Monica T. Mystery Series :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I agree that the balloons are certainly not environmentally friendly. (And the same could probably be said about a number of other toys and knick-knacks sold at these markets...) Can't remember when I last bought balloons of any kind myself - but then I never had children and grand-children... ;-) As for the magnetic clasp I'm experimenting with putting a bit of plastic "filling" into the hole in the bottom part of it. (The bag also has a zipper beneath the lid, and doesn't really need the full effect of the magnet to keep the lid shut...)

      Delete
  7. the market is so happy looking, bright, vivid colors and happy shoppers. can you put a new strap on the bag? that is a shame. I think they make things these days to wear out to keep people buying. my mother and I kept our ONE handbag until it wore out which was many many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra that bag I bought in the second hand shop was probably quite old even if not much used and I also fear now that the surface of the bag itself is not to be "trusted" either if it gets damaged in any way.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...