Tuesday 23 May 2023

TUBE

The current major exhibition at our Textile Museum is entitled "Tube", and has only one single object on display. It's an absolutely gigantic installation, though - filling the whole largest exhibition hall.

TUBE
A vertiginous
social sculpture
by Numen / For Use

Welcome to enter into TUBE!
Climbers, put your shoes here.


Visitors are invited to climb into the Tube and crawl around in it. Not something that would really have appealed to me personally at any age - and certainly not now... So I just went for a slow walk around it with my camera.. Alas, I was also the only visitor at the time, so also did not get to see anyone else moving around in there. It was still a rather weird experience in itself, though, just walking around it all by myself... (There was a guard sitting on a chair along the wall, keeping watch - obviously they need to make sure no one gets stuck in there! But as I had no intention of going in, I did not talk to her.) There was also some spooky music in the background as sound effect.

 
In my mind, I saw the thing as some kind of giant sea serpent. I guess all the lines and the shadows cast by the net contributed to that impression.






After a slow turn around the beast with my camera, I left it to hunger for braver visitors than myself, and walked back out into the sunshine.

 

The spring-summer exhibition at Textilmuseet invites visitors to explore the three-dimensional net installation Tube. The suspension of the net makes it swing and move as you move together through the winding formation. The transparency creates a feeling of floating freely as well as a tension between the security of being surrounded by the supporting net and the danger of the dizzying height.

The design collective Numen / For Use works across borders with design, scenography and architecture. They are particularly known for large, intricate installations that visitors can take part of physically by climbing into, crawling through, or hiding inside. In the exhibition at the Textile Museum, the interactive installation Tube will be shown for the first time in the Nordic countries. The work consists of tunnels of net which the visitors are invited to climb through and experience the room from a completely new perspective.

Tube was first shown in 2015 in Austria and has since been set up in 6 more locations around Europe. The installation is a hybrid of art and design– a kind of "social sculpture" in the shape of a giant spider's web that stretches in all directions, circles around the pillars and breaks the straight lines of the room with irregular diagonals.

Read more at the Museum's website here (in English).


8 comments:

  1. WOW, it is pretty awesome and I really like your closeup photos, they look like art without seeing the whole room. no way would I as a child or as a senior climb in it but I know a lot who would and have fun doing it. its weirdly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I did of course focus on the art aspect of it, and you know I'm fascinated by light and shadows...

      Delete
  2. Good grief! From reading this, it must be like mesh, and move about as you crawl! Only for the young and strong! As for me, I have enough trouble just dealing with solid ground!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, it's enough for me too to be able to walk on solid ground!

      Delete
  3. I would absolutely have climbed in, and made my way through to come out at the other end. This is right up my alley, and there is loads that comes to mind, what it COULD mean (various meanings to various people). In any case, it is a change of perspective - even just by walking around it, as you did. And being the only visitor made for a truly special experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, with no one else around I was perhaps able to focus more on the visual experience, I think.

      Delete
  4. Well, it's certainly different. From your photos it looks great fun and an enormous "construction".
    When I was much younger I would have climbed in and crawled along. Not now though, I'd worry about getting so far and being stuck - and think about my knees seizing up! Not for people of mature years, a nervous disposition or those suffering from claustrophobia.
    Thinking about it - presume it's one-way, and do they restrict the number of people at any one time? Imagine how awful it would be to get stuck in a body jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, as I said there was a guard in the room and I assume they have instructions as to how many people are allowed in at the same time - and what to do if there is a problem.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...