Saturday 8 July 2023

Unter den LInden

 Unter den Linden is a famous avenue in Berlin (where I've never been IRL) - but I have one or two streets lined by Linden trees (Tilia) much closer to home. One is the path along the west wall of the old cemetery where I walk almost daily. Just now, walking there, one can hear the big old trees constantly "humming" or "buzzing" over one's head, as they are full of bees and bumble bees collecting nectar from the flowers... I wish I could transfer the sound to the blog as well, but you'll have to make do with my photos and your imagination...


 



 

I find that humming sound quite comforting, as it proves a lot of bees must have survived the strange long period of heat and drought we had this spring and first part of summer. July has started out cooler, and rainy... This weekend the sun is back, but forecasts predict more rain next week as well. 

 

Yesterday, I also walked into town for a few errands, and took the way through the park.




13 comments:

  1. I don't think I would recognize a Linden Tree if I saw one! They are so large and impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, I corrected my link in the post, as I found there are a lot of different subspecies to "tilia". (Also a "tilia americana", also known as basswood, in case that sounds more familiar to you.)

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, Monica, it looks a perfect summer's day. You seem to have been blessed with good weather so far, for most of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, June was unusually hot and extremely dry. Opinions vary about whether to call that "good" or not...

      Delete
  3. They are beautiful trees. A lovely pale gold to catch the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee, this summer I've really appreciated being able to walk in the shadow of these (and other) big old trees.

      Delete
  4. I love trees and these are magnificent. so glad you are getting cooler temps and rain. Our flowering trees here do the same thing, the big ones in the park humm like crazy. a zillion flowers like yours have in these photos and each one has its on bee...our world needs trees and bees to survive

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really does Sandra, and a city/street without big old trees quickly becomes unbearable in a heatwave...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Linden in my part of the world are the same as yours, as I guess you know. I love their scent, and indeed the humming all the bees (and probably other insects) create when the tree is in bloom is just wonderful.
    No rain here yet; there was/is some forecast for this morning, but it is already half past 9 and the sky is more blue than anything. It is hot already, after it never really cooled down during the night from the 36 Celsius we had yesterday. The coolest it got just before sunrise was 22 C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: Forgot to say how much I like the yellow flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that yellow is "your" colour Meike! And I hope you'll get some rain and a break from that extreme heat soon!

      Delete
  8. Nice to see some colour, I'm looking forward to seeing some here come Spring. I think we have those trees here, are they the ones with some sticky sort of buds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderful place to walk among the Linden trees. I understand that the Linden flowers have a pretty scent. The blue horse and carriage are very cheery.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...