Thursday 6 August 2015

Summer Evening by the Lake

Within ‘bicycle distance’ from the village where I grew up (see my previous two posts) there is a little lake.

Well, at least back in my mid/late teens and in nice summer weather and before I got my driver’s license it was (had to be) bicycle distance - even to the farthest corner of the lake. Up and down a few hills (and kilometres) on the narrow curvy tarmac road towards Town; then turn right into an even narrower dirt road with further ups and downs and curves…

CIMG5317-001

CIMG5319-001

CIMG5318-001

… and this is where you eventually end up: A small summer camp/café/hostel kind of place, owned by one of the ‘free’ churches in town. I was curious to see if it still looked the same (after 40 years). And except for a few minor changes and modernisations (like a larger deck along the front, and WCs in the old outhouse), it pretty much did. Including a group of teens still playing beach volleyball on the lawn.

Good Fences
Friday My Town 

18 comments:

  1. what a stunning view! many buildings from my childhood have been torn day; it's nice that this is continuing to be a place for the young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a great view Norma, but no space to expand so I guess that's why it has not changed much. :)

      Delete
  2. a pretty view at the lake! thanks for linking to good fences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very beautiful place, and I am glad the building is still the same and looks so well cared for. Your holiday truly was a trip down memory lane, Monica, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meike, in many ways it was :) With my 60th birthday approaching (and 40 years since I moved away from there), it felt like a good time to revisit this area with a lot of early memories attached.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty view of the lake, great fence find! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous view of the lake and great variety of fences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love love love the second photo. those trees on the water are magnificent. glad it stayed the same over all those years, there is to much that has changed completely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way it felt almost weird that it had not changed more, Sandra!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a lovely place. The lake is so pretty and I liked the looks of the hostel/decking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice memory. The lake looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somethings may change but memories do not. Very nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful spot. I love lakes...this is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A truly great place. Would love to visit there myself actually. Thanks for linking up with Friday My Town Shoot Out.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to be there..looks so calming.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...