On our way back from the locks, still in heavy rain, we stopped at Trollhättan Church to have a look inside.
Trollhättan – the town growing around the building of the canal and locks in the 1800s – did not get its own parish until 1857; and the church, in neogothic style, built between 1860-62, was actually a gift from the New Trollhättan Canal Company. The manager of the canal company, Nils Ericson, gained fame both as canal and railway builder, and was given a Swedish title of nobility corresponding to ‘baron’ in English. It was he who promoted the forming of the parish as well as the building of the church.
This stained glass window from 1896 (“The Shepherds’ Adoration”) used to be in the chancel but was moved to the western wall in 1962 when a series of new windows (by artist Ralph Bergholtz) were added at the front.
Altar piece by Albert Eldh from 1935.
Still raining outside…